Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I have been offered a KKK 1.6D JX K14 T25/T3 Turbo from a VW, thing its off a Transporter.

Just wondering if it being from a diesel will make a difference or if you need to use a petrol specific turbo?
I have a 1.6 eunos, just starting to collect parts for my build.

Reason I am thinking of using this is because of the t25/t3 aspect, thats the same as the cast manifold I can get hold of for a decent price.
Trying to keep costs low at the moment, so i can save for decent management down the line once I have a basic setup.

Im looking to run 1.8 injectors, intercooler, wideband, RR FPR, etc and either see if the standard ecu can handle it or find a cheap piggy back till I can go megasquirt.

I know what im planning isnt the best way to do it but funds are tight, and I intend on getting the parts upgraded as I quest more power.

All help/advice/telling me its a freaking stupid idea welcome.
Im pretty new to turbo setups, I have been reading threads since about 9pm last night lol.

Thanks
Rich

· Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
I wouldn't even bother with the rrfpr route, save up and get a proper fueling solution from the start, fit that, get used to tuning with that before a turbo gets near the engine.

· Premium Member
19,296 Posts
I'm pretty sure a Diesel turbo will be of zero use to you.

Size wise, they're optimised for low revs, typically a diesel will top out at 4k, and the turbo is trailing off at 3 - 3.5k. The amount a turbo flows won't change once you stick it on a different engine, The last thing I'd want is an MX5 which pulls hard to 3.5k and then dies

Additionally Diesels run much cooler, it's likely the turbine is built for this lower temp, run it on a petrol car and it could well kill it fast.

To be honest the last thing you should base a conversion around is a turbo you've been given, Pick a manifold and downpipe and then find a turbo that will fit that also fits you're power requirements.

· Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
I'm not sure about the kkk but holset turbos are for diesels and you can use those on petrol cars but I think they are built from materials the same as petrol turbos, and with holsets you use a turbo off say a 6ltr truck engine on a 2 ltr petrol car. I'm sure the kkk will be useless for you. Unless your making your own parts like downpipe etc then you want to do as suggested by slow, the turbo is determined by manifold and downpipe. If you just want to go FI then buy a greddy or bbr used kit, if your lucky £600-£1000. I started off in the same boat as you ' I can do this with a fpr(bought Jackson racing one) then thought for a bit of off boost power I'd need a ignition retard device(bought a msd one) and then read up some more, it would drink fuel, be a bit of a pig to drive and not really upgradeable. So sold them and bought a ms1, fitted that and now slowly learning how to set it all up. Turbos still in a box in the garage. The fuel saved running ms compared to rrfpr pays for itself in a couple of thousand miles, I'm sure I worked it out on the 'cheep boostings' thread. You can fit a fpr, but why would you? We're not in the 80's, its not the 90's so no 5th injectors. And for the cost of the extra power from a badly fuelled set up you could buy ms, throw on a couple of bits and run rings around the fuel guzzling fpr on track that will eventually blow up, melt a piston, overheat. All of the above

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Ive scrapped the whole rr fpr idea now guys. Did more reading till 6am this morning, found a hilarious thread, something about a convo with a brickwall!

Im going to go down the megasquirt route and ignore rrfpr and such.
I have a manifold lined up and this turbo would of fitted, why i wondered if it was compatible.

Thanks for letting me know i'll need a different turbo. I was pretty sure that diesel ones were different somehow, but thought maybe because they spool up quicker they might be usable.

I've got lots more knowledge now than when i posted this so thanks nutz!

· Registered
268 Posts
I've always wonder why Holset turbos are so uncommon with mx5's? Here in Finland everybody uses them from diesel MB to 200sx Nissans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.