1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
all sensible changes for a public road....

It's to keep the more extreme racecars off.

On hiatus until Easter afaik.

·
Payday! Aaaand it's gone.....
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't drift on a public road, but you have to remember that this is the worlds most demanding track, regardless of it being classed as a public road.

anyone who has ever done a wet lap there will know it is impossible to not have the arse end come out on the slightest of inputs.
Pair this to a track that is over 10 miles long and has 100+ corners, how do you police the term 'drift' ?

If the back end steps out due to either rain, oil, rain+leaves ect, how do you know your not going to get fined because a marshal has radioed in saying he seen you go round a corner on opposite lock?

If you're driving your car to it's limit, you will most likely be on the limit of grip, may aswell put a speed limit too if they were concerned about safety, which judging by the fine and restriction of safety equipment, they aren't.

obviously this is to stop full on race prepared cars being put on with the local transit vans going round, the wording isn't great and may not be final as said, but it's making me think about my next trip, as there is yet another financial risk involved and for something that isn't as certain as me hitting the wall!

The fine could come at you with no warning and you won't know of any wrongdoing until you come off track, sorry (road ) - as it is a point to point, and only 1 exit.

·
Keyboard 'worrier'
4,986 Posts
Or scared them self so much they finish early! I had a few involentry back end out moments the times I've been, never tried it on purpose there, the locals are more of a menace from what I've seen forcing people of the racing line. At €26 a lap its getting a bloody expensive weekend.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
Drifting has always been frowned upon afaik. Last year when I was there some guy was getting into trouble for it. I'm guessing there's more and more people doing it, and that's why they've finally put it in writing.

It's just whether you get reported for it that's the issue, since there's no marshalls, it takes another driver, or to do it around workers/safety guys to get reported.

All the rest are pretty sensible. I've got a snap off steering wheel, and I can still see where they're coming from, if that rule saves even one person from theirs failing, and them crashing, then that's a win/win, no? And I'm sure I read on Dales site that the cage with door bars refers to them being above the bottom of the steering wheel iirc, so for MOST road cars, that's not an issue either.

·
Registered
4,590 Posts
I'd guess so. Or incase they fail, and the wheel comes off in your hand...

·
Dr. Eunos
5,457 Posts
You can just roll up and buy a card with however many laps you pay for, you can pay by card (not all types of UK cards are taken in Germany though) either at the office next to the entrance or from Dottinger Hohe filling station near the circuit entrance.
It is a good idea to have booked somewhere to stay before you arrive there, Bren at `Sliders Guesthouse` (a member on here does B&
also a good idea to check if anything else is scheduled for the `Ring on the weekend or whenever else you choose to go.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Don't have a problem with the new rules. If you want to tear round a racetrack in a track/race car,then do a track day. The idea of laps at the Ring is so everyone can experience driving round this classic track,and appreciate its history. They had a lot of crashes last year,and no doubt tat wouldn't be if helped if some dickhead was drifting his e30 or 200sx round sideways. I didn't go round last year when I visited for fear of getting my car trashed by some idiot tearing round with disregard for others. It's not all fast cars going round,so rules have to be abided with so many different speeds of vehicles,with bikes added in the mix too. If nothing was done,and the accidents continued it would close for sure- its been close to it for so long,so go round in a road car,push it,but be sensible and respectful,and hopefully it will be there for years to come for more to enjoy.
Another good hotel is the Tiergarten in Nurburg,who are advocates of the 'Save the Ring' campaign,and bloody nice people too

·
Registered
52 Posts
now that sounds like a plan, looking at the end of august, planning on hull to roterdam, fri night, then pootling down for tuesday day, wednesday track time and thurs, ready for ferry back sat night or sunday night, cant wait, just sorting niggles out on car first, almost standard, ish car, lol

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.