Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1281 - 1300 of 1309 Posts

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,310 Posts
I finally booked a day, Combe on the 24th August. Want to try and get to Bedford before that too.

Reactions: Zed.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,282 ·
Cool, i rate Bedford maybe flat but so much fun. I defo wanna try and get there this year. I usually go with my mate in the bmw but hes out of picture atmo due to spending all his money in our family courts making solictors rich trying to see his kids. So id have togo on my own.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,286 ·
So trackday roundup.
Goldtrack and bhp about £50 more expensive than other tdo,s . Defo worth it, so much track time so much clear track.
Track was greasy in morning. X2 whoopsie moments but afternoon it was fine and car felt fantastic. 1 short session due to flickering brake light. Car checked over nothing leaking just a combo of front and rear pads getting low. Top up reservoir and off we go.
I got overtaken by a caterhammer...i was trying to catch a m4 and succeeding looked in my mirrors and there it was...so moved over...and followed to see if i could learn summit.
Car needs pads all round but otherwise seems fine.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,288 ·
Mmmm... my mate with the Z3M has offered the car to me for 16k. Its got rear toe out on rear and the coilovers are leaking...basically needs new gaz coilovers and 2 new rear trailing arms...for some reason he just dont like it.
I want it but bit short on the reddies by the tune of 10k lol.
Is £8k for a unforged sorted mk1 mx5 turbo possible no mot either but pop ups back in should pass ....really dont wanna sell this but gotta reach everynow and again...i do have a dream to return to racing and the z3m is perfect for that....
Decisions...

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
426 Posts
Mmmm... my mate with the Z3M has offered the car to me for 16k. Its got rear toe out on rear and the coilovers are leaking...basically needs new gaz coilovers and 2 new rear trailing arms...for some reason he just dont like it.
I want it but bit short on the reddies by the tune of 10k lol.
Is £8k for a unforged sorted mk1 mx5 turbo possible no mot either but pop ups back in should pass ....really dont wanna sell this but gotta reach everynow and again...i do have a dream to return to racing and the z3m is perfect for that....
Decisions...

I think 8k is reaching a little bit.

It all comes down to what people are willing to pay and honestly there aren't many people looking to spend 8k on a modified MX-5. By no means am I saying that it's not worth it, just supply and demand.

Another way to approach this is that a good, unmodified and sorted stock MX-5 is easily worth 6k, and thats where you would find your money.

How quickly can you unturbo it ;)

1. Get loan
  2. Break your car and put to stock
  3. Sell remaining turbo bits
  4. ???
  5. Profit

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,290 ·
Yep, i know. Its not even got a mot lol. It is a s special but ive done so much to it there not much S special left lol. I couldnt break it.
Defo a conundrum....ive coveted the z3m for years....

·
5,310 Posts
Going on Facebook adverts you should get 20k for the MK1

·
5,310 Posts
The 5 is fast, handles well, and it's still a stock engine. Not sure there's much reason to swap anyway

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,294 ·
I started looking at z3m parts...oh my expensize...and not much knowledge of them.
Engine goes pop £8k vs £80 lol.
Decision made to be sensible.

·
5,310 Posts
Parts cost and availability is a massive part of why I have mx5s.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,297 ·
So bit of tlc today. Front pads in and general check over. Found my downpipe brace i made had fatigued and snapped...my bad shouldnt have made out of stainless...so made another...i think the steel was from a horn bracket..
Rear pads need doing when they arrive.

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,298 ·
Time for a cambelt...
Backing plate will be re installed of the auto engine ..car came like it. Maybe summit went through it...its torn half way through

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,299 ·
Mmmm notbad atall. £60.00 with gen camcover gasket.
Ive got a brandnew WP. On the shelf.
Just thinking is the gates racing belt worth it..double the power...
Think ill strip down first and see if i can identify cause of tear....then order.
Plenty of turbod 5s with std cambelts out there...those kevlar belts for 400bhp builds.

1281 - 1300 of 1309 Posts