Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1241 - 1260 of 1279 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,241 ·
Yep..several times...hes dialing it in and getting used to it...i think the rear end is too stiff onit.
I got my mate in his tiger kitcar too... but then i spun...
Used my phone for vids...bit shaky needs some work but got 8 vids no issues like go poos. Easy upload from phone straight to youtube. Ill link em later.

2 spins in a day...need to soften rear and rain it in abit...getting over confident now. All end with a bump if i dont...been there done that.
X4 a052s...trashed. there so good but so bloody expensive.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,244 ·
Whats is speed at 6400 rpm in 5th gear with a 4.1 diff?
Big 225 50 15 tyres ...tyre dia 590mm..i tried to work it out and made my head hurt.

·
layabout
2,676 Posts
Whats is speed at 6400 rpm in 5th gear with a 4.1 diff?
Big 225 50 15 tyres ...tyre dia 590mm..i tried to work it out and made my head hurt. [

I did some calculations and posted them on M5's forums (y)

so, using the same calculator...

and inputing details...

so, fast enough?

Rich.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,254 Posts
So my next Q would be would a 6speed make me faster...ill have a play with calc thingy.

It depends, I've a 6 speed with a 4.1 on the supercharged car and you cannot get into the acceleration until 3rd, I do keep feeling that it'd be nice to be in boost longer between each gear. With the charger I have 10psi available immediately as I crack the throttle so it's not too bad, with a turbo it might be a pain if there was any lag. The only benefit of the 6 speed is the spacing of the gearing is more consistent so you change at more regular intervals, I also feel 2nd and 3rd on the 5 speed are a little far apart, but that's NA, I've not driven a boosted car with a 5 speed. I'd wager a 6 speed likely wont make you faster, and if you dont need the extra strength of the box would stay 5 speed.

My 6 speed is a little loose which doesnt help, a sharper and crisper shift would likely improve my experience with it. Will see when I put one in the NBFL (not that anywhere near me will work on a car over 10 years old).

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,251 ·
Had a play with the calc and no real benefit to swapping the 6 speed...ill stay 5 speed, lovely shift and seems to be coping at my power level.

·
5,254 Posts
cheaper;)

and easier to rebuild;);)

and can use internals from earlier mk3 gearboxes (different casings) in mk1 or mk2 casings etc. for the best of the best components wise😜😜

Rich.
interesting, what's the advantage? Any links to guides?

·
5,254 Posts
Had a play with the calc and no real benefit to swapping the 6 speed...ill stay 5 speed, lovely shift and seems to be coping at my power level.

The 5 speeds are still stout enough, there's some debate whether the 6 speeds are actually stronger or if it's just the different gearing evening out the effective wheel torque. In general I only see failures for 1 of 2 reasons - the owner has done a load of clutch dump burnouts on semi slicks the the box has shat itself, or excessive heat causes an issue with the syncros and they weld themselds to the output shaft (IIRC).

·
layabout
2,676 Posts
only see failures for 1 of 2 reasons -
1. old origonal Mazda built gearbox that has a huge millage behind it @ flat-out.

and....

2. as above but with a little power & torque MORE than orional design brief / material capacity ~30+ years ago when the gearbox started life.

;)

Rich.

·
5,254 Posts
1. old origonal Mazda built gearbox that has a huge millage behind it @ flat-out.

and....

2. as above but with a little power & torque MORE than orional design brief / material capacity ~30+ years ago when the gearbox started life.

;)

Rich.
The 5 speeds start to fail above 240tflbs wtq don't they (Boosted is about 215ftlbs IIRC), most builds dont get close to that so it's mostly neglect and abusing them that seems to do it.lol.
If you're worried about mileage I'll have a 50k mile 5 speed up for sale shortly (if I can ever find a shop to do my clutch/6 speed swap for me)

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 ·
Forgot todo trackday update..
1. Roof sorted no issues...well tiny bit of tape lift.
2. Ran higher temps in tyres to stiffen sidewall. Seems to have negated outer edge wear.
3. Messed with geo as helping my mate dial in his k24 civic...shouldve left alone...2 spins lol. So back to where i previously dialed it into...
4. Great day...still so reliable.. no issues atall.
5. It flies...
6. Happy.
7. Checked car over after spin...removed some stones and vegetation from suspension pick up points no damage.
8.Needs some rear pads good to go.
Nothing booked atmo...
On a reserve list for combe on june 13th..
Maybe Brands in July but £339 just to get on track...

·
5,254 Posts
Kind of them to include fuel in the price as well 😆

• Haha
Reactions: Zed.
1241 - 1260 of 1279 Posts