Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1061 - 1080 of 1108 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,062 ·
That does grate abit tbh...esp. as a crack not wear. If 1 of these cracks ill not be happy. But in the meantime ill suck it up.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
The ones in the Freakyparts kit come from there too, hopefully another wont crack

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,066 ·
So brake cooling ducting on the cheap with leftovers found in the garage bench... got enough todo drivers side...waiting on discs...getting worried as heard nothing since order despite voicemessage and 3 messenger texts... anyways ducting..lock to lock no issues.

·
5,007 Posts
Are those cable ties on the dust shield going to hold up to the heat?
Did you go for 2.5 or 3" pipe?

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,068 ·
50mm....
Heat maybe not lol... ill wire lock me thinks...
Stewarts chasing discs tomoz....

·
5,007 Posts
I went 3" but wish id gone 2.5", too much contact on mine and far too tight. I can't imagine the extra is worth it really either. Yeh best to be safe. I went with some flanges and bolted them in, had to put a lip on the end for the hose

There were some chinese ones for £5 a pair a little while back that could be worth a look

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,071 ·
Still no discs...mighty pissed off. Have not even left warehouse...had to chase chase chase. Car in bits waiting and just about to start 12hr shifts... gonna have to take holiday now. 9 days raaa.

·
5,007 Posts
Balls,9 days is long enough that they should arrive though. Shipping itself is only a day or two, just need to be dispatched

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,073 ·
Theyve just been despatched today after my chasing over n over...but monday delivery for extrac£10......way to close to call for me.. yes im anal but fail to prepare prepare to fail...
So ive bought some at local motorfactors coming in at 3.30pm ... Apex discs ...ill drill pcd myself no grooves or holes.
Ive cancelled order but theyd already been sent. I placed order on 7sept so plenty of time .. theyve been away but first communication said trackday on tuesday...just to long. Shouldnt have cracked either....only other discs that have cracked on me was a set of blackdiamonds at Combe in a 200sx back in 2000 but prepared to suck that up as im fast and very late on brakes. . Happy now have a solution but ill spend all morning at Thruxton getting confidence in my brakes back....

·
5,007 Posts
Yeh I agree, I like to have the car fully ready and washed for a track day the weekend before, it's a lot of money to suddenly have a issue and I know of enough people not enjoy days due to having to work on the car into the early hours.

You able to drill the PCD yourself accurately? Keep everything balanced etc? I'd be interested to know in case I need to do similar in future.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,075 ·
Done in past use old as template. Got 3 drill bits slow n steady lots of lube. Not ideal but.....

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,076 ·
Well fail....wont go on clean...must be ever so slightly out...biggest drill i got is 13mm that im using.. maybe 14mm would give me little clearance.. but in all fairness im so fooked off now.
So hope discs turn up monday return 1 of these for some cash back. If not no track day...i could take blue 1 but tbh ill be so pissed off with it. Plus no rollcage. All gonna be last minute which i hate.
Did i mention im pissed off. X3 12hr shifts fri sat sun and out monday...raaaa.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,077 ·
I can see it now bolting together mustve slipped when drilling. 3 good 1 bad.

·
5,007 Posts
Are you able to mark it with some ink or something and dremel it out to clear? Could try and use the bit as a mill too, not ideal but if it gets you the clearance

·
layabout
2,353 Posts
You able to drill the PCD yourself accurately?
pcd is clearance over studs so can be oval or 20mm diameter, it's the centre-bore that matters for concentric running....

I've made plenty of stepped & parallel 'plugs' to re-drill discs(y)

who were the discs coming from? - not great service:(

Rich.

1061 - 1080 of 1108 Posts