Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1041 - 1060 of 1108 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,041 ·
Yep they be more than fine...wear on rp1s. 1 day from new.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,042 ·
So nut n bolt checked drivers side all good..thought id leave passenger side for another day and have a nap in garage chair... woke up to scurrying noises to see a Squirrel running towards me ar full pelt dive on my chest and launch itself into the rafters.. knock loads of stuff down and hide behide some paint cans. Lol. Not the best way to wake up.
Found a chip and 2 in crack in windscreen apart from that all ok.
And in other news my mate whos been had up on a domestic assault charge from his now lesbian ex wife...has today been found NOT guilty. So im over the moon as shes a lie deceaving old boot trying to use the system to her financial advantage when there are genuine deserving cases out there.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,044 ·
This is why after every trackday i take the wheels off and nut n bolt check everything...felt a bind turning...cracked right through to centre. Thatll be my noise then.
Found Donny very hard on brakes.
Mmmm options b4 thruxton..think ill go for the bells...discs are on there 3rd set of pads so a consumable...

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,045 ·
Chat with mr Freaky parts see what options are available.. bells are nice and weight saving...

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
I thought we discussed this and your opinion was there was little weight saving to be had?

Looks like the groove on that disc has caused a weak point and it failed along it

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,047 ·
Yep...i agree.. ill go J hook next time... cant complain..i drive it very hard and its on 3rd set of pads...
Ive messaged Freaky see what he comes back with. Prob go with std and J hook so not near edge. Trackday TLC...never gone get this cage for the 10ae...always somebody hands in my pocket atmo lol

·
5,007 Posts
I prefer the bite of the hooked discs tbh, I can feel a difference. The grooved ones do help condition the pad vs blanks but there isnt the same immediate bite.

How worn are those discs actually? I know the minimum thickness is actually only slightly below the new thickness on these discs, wondering if that was a factor

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,050 ·
I had hooked on The 7...but i wore them away...yep talking of 7s popping in sunlight..lol.

·
layabout
2,353 Posts
This is why after every trackday i take the wheels off and nut n bolt check everything...
sop for any rallycar I've worked on - car on it's side to jetwash then inspect...
find the weak points & components - also theres a life (or two?) on the line if something's missed(y)

why I don't rate groved discs...🤭
espesially groved generic roadcar discs re-purposed for 'competition' use :unsure:

bells are nice and weight saving
more to it than weight, can help loose heat and when combined with well designed discs theres a serious weight difference (also 'flywheel-inertia' - lightwieght wheels & tyres follow this?)

I thought we discussed this and your opinion was there was little weight saving to be had?
depends on where you look, Wilwood discs are cheap but not a new design & theres some cheap options available with varying results...
rotor vane design can make a difference to airflow / cooling and rotor longevity
weight vs. cost can be important?

Looks like the groove on that disc has caused a weak point and it failed along it
most common place, heat finds a weakness & exploits it... (sharp edges also start cracks)
maybe time to look into airflow into the disc centre & out through the wheel - some wheels don't allow airflow:unsure:

or is it easier to view discs /rotor's as consumable?

Rich.

·
5,007 Posts
Yeh I agree the cooling benefit is there for hats, but from a weight perspective I dont think there's much gain. For the inertial effect you really want to remove weight from the outer edge in as this travels the fastest and has the most momentum, hats remove weight at the centre.

The discs here are 7.5kg ish each, I think the hats only drop that by under 1kg, which I appreciate is a saving, but given just how heavy these are wouldnt be enough to tempt me for the cost, especially when you consider the G60 discs are circa 3kg lighter IIRC.

Wilwood discs aren't super easy to get, certainly not as easy as the Fiesta discs. The light duty ones seem to basically be trash and last no time at all, they are thin and density is low which impacts cooling, I've seen the same comments about them time and time again. The heavy duty ones are better but are much much more expensive and if you are ok with that then you're likely better off looking at a different brake setup anyway. The midilites are very good, but they are a budget caliper and cost is a factor. I think in this case they've just had a hard time of it and cracked along a weak point due to the grooves.

For track work I'd view them as consumable, but due to wear not failure, they shouldnt crack IMO.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,053 ·
The bells set up is £465 and 4 to 5 week lead time so on both counts not viable.
Same replacements ordered again at £142 with c hook as crack defo came out of groove....
Im hard on brakes ive stomped on em all year lol. Have to bed in at Thruxton 1 day old pads onto new discs...glass half full.. ive got a spare disc now lol. Bells in future the ap set up with bg developments bells n discs have been fantastic...ive worn through the c hook.. no cracks. But they were alot more than £142.00.
If i crack another bells it is.

·
layabout
2,353 Posts
For the inertial effect you really want to remove weight from the outer edge in as this travels the fastest and has the most momentum, hats remove weight at the centre.
correct (but...)

if you've ever held an AP Racing disc then you'll appreciate the difference, obviously theres a cost involved in this.
commonly the friction surface is just the pad's width with mount-tags for the lighter aluminium bell / tophat so a weight reduction thats not seen on one-piece cast iron discs.
weight is also reduced by better design of the internal vanes to promote cooling airflow from inside (by bearing) to outside edge.

The discs here are 7.5kg ish each
Jesusfuckinchrist 😲

the mk4 / ND Mx5 280mm discs I have are heavy but nowhere near 7.5kg (guess I'm going to find them & get the scales out now🤭)

G60 discs are circa 3kg lighter IIRC
serious difference ! 3kg for ~20mm larger od? (these are 300mm discs if I remember?)

Wilwood discs aren't super easy to get
go to importer?

The midilites are very good, but they are a budget caliper
yes and for the price are excelent(y)

For track work I'd view them as consumable, but due to wear not failure, they shouldnt crack
surface cracking is common on high heat environments like friction-surfaces but through-cracks are a different matter:unsure:

Rich.

·
5,007 Posts
I get the difference with the rings, but then they are also often denser and it's still mostly the inside of the mass that's loosing weight, my point is more the weight saving isnt why I'd move to hats and I dont think it'd be a good reason to financially. If it were me making the move it'd be for the improved cooling from the vanes (on certain directional products not just any old ring for the sake of it) and sparing the wheel bearings some heat. However, I know the vanes are better, but if you are feeding discs with ducts anyway I'm not sure the gains would be as significant with rotor thicknesses being equal, again this is all related to cooling rather than weight though.

Yeh I cant remember the exact G60 weight, I think that's right, I'll go weigh a G60 disc now as I've one about.

Yeh you can get parts from an importer, I'm not saying you can't get them, I'm saying it's more hassle and harder. If you crack/wear through a ring it might take a good bit longer to get a replacement than sourcing another OE spec disc, which if you've events lined up could be a pain.

And yeh I agree with the cracking comment.

Reactions: Zed.

·
5,007 Posts
G60 is 5.5kg on my scales, so 2kg lighter each. It's a lot. Admittedly I am stock power with a 3.9 torsen, 5 speed and with 300mm discs, but the extra weight is significant, and you can feel it, even with my konig dial ins offsetting some of the gain from the old SA3R/ NS2R with G60 setup. It's worth it for the other benefits IMO, even just for not having to re-grease the calipers every time you look at a race track, and once my power is upped it shouldnt be an issue

Reactions: Zed.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
So these generic discs? Do we know what the oem vehicle is and is there a better aftermarket perfermance disc made with better metal.. more carbon..i dunno. Lol.

·
5,007 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,059 ·
I hope those prices are plus vat.. cant find my specs at mo..

·
5,007 Posts
The discount may not hold, I've had times where it's been applied at summary but isnt actually still valid and gets removed at checkout.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

1041 - 1060 of 1108 Posts