Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

Got home earlier today after a problem-free drive and switched the engine off. Went to restart the engine about 10 seconds later to edge my car forward a bit and it's not cranking. Just a click of a solenoid or relay and nothing.
The battery seems good, I have ignition lights on the dash, fans, blowers etc. I have checked engine bay fuses and swapped relays.
This is a new one to me. The chap at Autolink reckons the starter motor 'never' goes. He said to check my earths, I can't see anything glaring me in the face, I think.
Can anybody offer any suggestions? Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,607 Posts
give the starter motor a tap with a hammer.

·
Banish a little rust a day people
5,007 Posts
I've certainly seen a fair few starters go, but my bet would likely be on the battery, are you able to confirm it's ok? Maybe try another known good one or a jump?

Reactions: Soulman

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,551 Posts
I'd say waggle the wire on the back of the starter solenoid but if you're hearing it click it's probably moving. Might not be moving enough to energise the starter so maybe a smack with a mallet is the way after all. Or it might be another relay you're hearing so definitely give the wire a waggle first.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm going to have another gentle wiggle on the wires and my buddy finishes work at 8 so I'll throw the jump leads on and he's also offered a bump start, if necessary. That should clear a few possibilities out of the way.
And I'll also try a few taps with a rubber mallet.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,551 Posts
Maybe a ground has come loose?
Yeah, it's worth looking at the main ground connection where the far end of the battery ground cable joins the drivetrain. If you look underneath just in front of the right rear wheel you can see where the thick cable is bolted onto the alloy PPF, just next to the diff. Common place for the wire to fracture.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Maybe a ground has come loose?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
This is what the Autolink guy suggested. If you could add a bit of detail as to where exactly to check that would be very useful.

Bear in mind when I turn the key I'm getting the dashboard lights coming on, blowers coming on, seatbelt alarm, AC fan etc.

I'm presuming it's a ground for the starter circuit I'm looking for.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it's worth looking at the main ground connection where the far end of the battery ground cable joins the drivetrain. If you look underneath just in front of the right rear wheel you can see where the thick cable is bolted onto the alloy PPF, just next to the diff. Common place for the wire to fracture.
Exactly where the Autolink guy said to look. This is great advice, guys. I'll brave the rain and check that right out.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The earth near the drivetrain is bolted down well and I see no signs of damage.

I've tried jump starting the car but still no crank, just a click when I fully turn the key.

I'm going to have a look at the ignition switch tomorrow. Check for any burning/melting etc.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If it bump starts and continues running its the starter or solenoid on the starter.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
It's the starter or solenoid on the starter. I've ordered a new one from MX5 parts.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Pointers have been much appreciated.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
120 Posts
It's the starter or solenoid on the starter. I've ordered a new one from MX5 parts.

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Pointers have been much appreciated.
Did you try hitting the starter when its being cranked over? Almost a guaranteed fix if the starter has never stuck before and solenoid is clicking... common fault.
If you can't reach with a hammer, get a heavy duty bar like a breaker bar and hit that with a hammer onto the starter whilst your friend cranks..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you try hitting the starter when its being cranked over? Almost a guaranteed fix if the starter has never stuck before and solenoid is clicking... common fault.
If you can't reach with a hammer, get a heavy duty bar like a breaker bar and hit that with a hammer onto the starter whilst your friend cranks..
I tried giving it a 'tap' with my friend cranking and 2 days after, same with the mechanic hitting it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts