over the past few days I've been slowly working through my list and getting things done. I pulled the engine out of the car, removed the oil sump and welded a return fitting for the turbo oil drain (this was an absolute dick to do, between it being cast aluminium and having 20 years of oil absorbed into it, it didn't want to weld nicely); I'm still not entirely sure how well this drain setup will work but I can always revise it and switch to a scavenge pump later down the line. With that out of the way I painted the engine bay, front subframe, gearbox crossmember, prop bearing mounts and engine mounts. I also finished welding and then wrapped the manifold and installed it onto the engine prior to putting it back in the car as it would be near impossible to do otherwise. I threw a standard clutch and flywheel onto the engine for now as I plan on upgrading this later. I was originally gonna switch to a basic solid flywheel and new OEM rated clutch but it seemed as waste as I'd need to upgrade once I start adding more boost so I opted to run a stock one for now. I also gave it a bit of a clean off as it was covered in dust and crap.
Next up I threw some Aerocatch bonnet pins in as I need a way to hold the bonnet down now that the normal latch is gone. With all of the drilling and grinding done and bay blasted out with compressed air to get rid of any dust I threw the engine in for what I hope is the final time. I also threw the gearbox on and bolted that up with some temporary bolts (I need to order the genuine bolts).
So this week I hope to get most of the final assembly done and to finish off the last little bits on the list:
Fully weld wastegate pipe
Wrap wastegate and downpipe
De-Power steering rack/Weld pinion
Replace outer tie rod ends on steering rack
Wire up engine with BMW harness and modify to work with existing Mazda harness
Change all fluids/Service engine, gearbox and diff
Install ABS sensor in front wheel hub to use for speedo
Wire up SGI-100BT to correct tacho signal and generate speedo signal for OEM gauge cluster
I've sent off the prop to be shortened already so that should be back in the next 1-2weeks and I've ordered the new driveshafts so they should be here sometime next month if all goes well.