Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, CNCJ here,

My life is divided between Korea and Oxford - 2 months in one, and 2 months in t'other. Am currently in Seoul, and will be returning to the UK in about 5 weeks. At which time I plan to purchase my first MX5. I have one question for the aficianados that has been thrown up by what research I have been able to accomplish thus far. I'm aiming for a 2002-ish 1.8 MX5 and I have a budget of up to 4 grand. There seems to be a relatively huge difference in average price between those advertised on MX5nutz and pistonheads websites and those appearing on eBay - with eBay asking prices being much the higher. I'm happy to pay a fair price for a good clean model, but don't want to be ripped-off. Can anyone tell me why there is this discrepancy in price? Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

·
The Small One!
884 Posts
Interesting Intro!

Nutz tends to have some very well priced cars as they (generally) have to be cheap for people to want them!

eBay is usually full of rubbish cars - I found the majority (every) car I went to look at from eBay was not as described. The key to them is to make sure you do a FULL check of everything you can, and don't be afraid to walk away.

The main thing that will up the price of the car will be the rust (lack of) and mileage (again, lower = higher price). £4k will easily get you a lovely model, and I'd even go as far as saying you could probably take around 25% off that and still end up with a great rust free Mk2.5 Sport

I'd personally recommend buying one off here, as you can usually chat to the buyer who will (usually) be more honest. Theres a good chance they have a build thread somewhere so you can at least see some of the history of the car too

Welcome!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, Jay, your comments are much appreciated. After spending weeks scouring the internet I think I have finally located a real possibility. And it belongs to a mate of a mate!! A totally corrosion-free, watertight, 2000 NB Cabriolet in silver with only 42K on the clock. I get back to the UK next week and will be taking a look shortly after. Fingers crossed!!
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.