Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have been a car-less member for a few months on here, enviously looking through owners posts while waiting for my MX5 as I am nutz about them, and now so very excited to be the proud owner of my beautiful silver roadster 'Rosie'.

Just wanted some advice from some fellow MX5 loving experts on keeping her looking her absolute best.

Could I have some feedback please on your mx5 cleaning regime and what products you would recommend (especially fellow silver fiver's) ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi, what 5 have you got? I use AutoGlym stuff on all my cars - AG shampoo then a water rinse. Drying towel followed by AG super Resin polish. Once in a while a coat of Rapid Ceramic spray and it’ll gleam

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
246 Posts
if you want a serious answer and your paint is worth keeping in good condition, you need to first do a proper cleaning session:
  • Rinse the car down fully with a power wash or strong hose pipe, ensuring as much dirt is removed as possible, loosen any stuck debris by hand carefully.
  • Shampoo and wash the car using a shampoo that contains no wax additive, use two buckets, one with warm soapy water, and another with clean warm water. After each panel, wash the mitt/sponge in the clean water bucket before getting more soapy water, this stops debris making its way back into the clean water and scratching the paint work.
  • Rinse the car after each panel is cleaned, this avoids water marks, more important when doing a maintenance wash
  • Using a clay bar, clay each panel one by one ensuring that the panel and clay are NEVER dry, if you've not used clay before, there's lots of guides on youtube. Most clay kits can use regular tap water but some require a lubricant. Dont worry about rinsing the clay/lubricant off.
  • Once you are happy that the clay has removed all the contaminates from the surface of the paint, it's time to move onto polishing. If you are polishing using a DA machine then you will need to mask up everything that is not paint, so the glass, any unpainted plastic etc
  • Polishing can be broken into smaller steps of cutting compound & polishing compound, depending on how badly your paint is afflicted.
  • Buff off the polish after each panel with a clean soft rag, it's harder to remove when it gets old.
  • Finally wax each panel, following the directions of your chosen wax. Some need to be left for a certain amount of time and most need multiple coats over time to give a lasting finish.
Don't clean your car when it's getting dark unless its just a maintenance wash, make sure you have clean, debris free cloths for each stage and don't forget to wax it after claying even if you don't polish as the clay removes all protection from the paint.

Hope this helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts