Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Sister in Laws New mini is overheating.

Seems fine and uses small amounts of water. When standing in traffic for any length of time the engine heats up too fast, fan comes on, and warning lights come on.

No obvious leaks.. Searches online say about airleaks, anyone know how to bleed the cooling system in a mini?

I know there are a lot of decent mechanics in here- hopefully someone will help before I have to trawl around Mini forums

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
When its overheating does the heater blow hot or cold (when set to hot)?

My BMW was overheating and the water pump was shagged. If the water isnt circulating the heater doesnt blow hot. At least, it doesnt on an e34 5 series.

Worth a try?

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When its overheating does the heater blow hot or cold (when set to hot)?

My BMW was overheating and the water pump was shagged. If the water isnt circulating the heater doesnt blow hot. At least, it doesnt on an e34 5 series.

Worth a try?
Cheers.

I'll need to ask.

Really hope its something easy to fix. Everything seems to point to an airlock. If its only that, it will be great. Apparently there are 3 places to bleed it!!

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
One of my mates is a BMW mechanic. I will email him and see if there are any online references, or ask if he can explain how it's done. Can't guarantee he will get back quickly though, but he might have other ideas what the problem could be.

Good luck mate

·
Rollin' on 15's, baby!
4,393 Posts
Really hope its something easy to fix. Everything seems to point to an airlock. If its only that, it will be great. Apparently there are 3 places to bleed it!!
Apparently there is a bleed screw on the radiator top hose.

·
Registered
752 Posts
There is a know problem with a leak down the back of the engine which is obscured by the header tank and heat shield

My daughters has been fixed twice by BMW , although there was water in the header when checking the level from the cap by the water pump
the level was very low

It seems you can get a air lock between the header and the cap so no water gets to the engine.

Fergy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Right then, I've had an email reply from my BMW master mechanic, here's what he said:

"Mini do suffer from coolant leaks from the thermostat housing, it is on the N/S of the cylinder head. This doesnt mean that there isnt a leak from elsewhere, also check the heater matrix inside the car. Another cause of air in the cooling system is the expansion bottle for the coolant is not full when the engine is cold which means air is drawn into the engine as it cools instead of coolant.
Bleeding the cooling system can be tricky, an indication of air in the system is a gurgling type noise from the heater.
We normaly fill the cooling system as normal by opening the bleed screw on the radiator top hose & add coolant / water in to the cap on the N/S of the engine by the thermostat housing until water comes out of the bleed screw. The bleed screw is then closed & the engine run until hot initially with the filler cap removed, it helps if the front of the car is raised which helps the air to work its way to the filler so it can escape. Once the coolant level stops dropping in the filler neck re fit the cap. TAKE CARE AS THE COOLANT WILL BE VERY HOT !. Make sure the expansion bottle is nearly full as the level will drop as the engine cools, once the engine has cooled re check the coolant level in the expansion bottle & top it up to the maximum mark.
If done right this should have done the job, hope this helps.
No online manuals that I know of but if you google the problem you normally get some help"

I hope that helps mate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts