Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been trawling the interweb and found many dead ends.
I am looking for the spacer which is between the adjuster spring and shim of the power steering rack (to adjust how stiff the steering is). I have recently opened mine and found it was missing - It was a reconditioned one fitted before I purchased. I have de powered mine and it feels like there is some play which I believe may be due to this spring not being present?

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

John.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Hi all,

I have been trawling the interweb and found many dead ends.
I am looking for the spacer which is between the adjuster spring and shim of the power steering rack (to adjust how stiff the steering is). I have recently opened mine and found it was missing - It was a reconditioned one fitted before I purchased. I have de powered mine and it feels like there is some play which I believe may be due to this spring not being present?

Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.

John.
Did you weld the pinion? That apparently can lead to play in the rack

·
Registered
667 Posts
No the pinion has remained as was - I have just removed the seal which separated the left/right direction of the fluid.
Alot of people seem to think that it is the biggest reason for slop in the rack

The pinion is basically in two halves that tooth into each other, but even in a vice with some grips you can move it a good amount, I don't know if missing that spring will add more or not but it might not be helping matters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts