Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Hi guys,

After selling my last 5 in March to fund my wedding, 6 months later I had the urge for another!

I kept browsing the classifieds as you do, no particular criteria, but knew I'd know it when I saw it. One evening, quite late, I did one last check on ebay for cars newly listed, when an rs-ltd caught my eye!

It looked really clean in the pictures and importantly, had all the right bits still intact, not to mention a couple of nice tasteful additions. The seller was clearly an enthusiast who was passionate about mx5's, this really shone through in the ad and inspired confidence, particularly stating that they wanted it to go to a good home, and to a like minded petrol head.

In a moment of impulse, I hit the buy it now button, and it was mine! It's the most I've ever paid for a 5, and it was strong money, so the usual doubts crept into my mind, what if it's not as good as it looks etc......

A prompt phone call to the seller quashed any doubts and only confirmed that this was the 'one', he was saying all the right things and it sounded every bit as good as it looked.

A few days (and sleepless nights) later, I jumped on a train to sunny Lowestoft, and was greeted by the seller and the car. It was actually a really nice, sunny day, the montego blue paintwork was shimmering in the sunlight and I immediately fell in love! A test drive back to the sellers house to hand over a considerable wad of cash, sort out the paperwork and the deal was done. It drover superbly, the engine was really responsive, the arc chamber gave a lovely growl and everything felt nice and 'tight'. I was happy with my purchase.

I then drove home back to Bourne in Lincs with the roof down all the way, getting to know the car. It is the best 5 I've ever driven or owned, so responsive, it genuinely feels quite quick for a NA. It didn't miss a beat all the way home. By the time I got home it was pitch black, foggy and quite cold, but I didn't care, still had the roof down, nothing was going to dampen my enthusiasm!

Anyway, enough waffle, here are the pics from the advert. Plans are to try and keep it oem+, with a few little subtle tweaks here and there, and try and get it back to showroom condition.

f20q48.jpg

21lo6kw.jpg

24edhro.jpg

nqobbo.jpg

2uotiz8.jpg

2wh00ag.jpg

2exbrdx.jpg

27xdq2s.jpg

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was my wife's birthday at the end of September, so I took her back up North to the venue where we got married, for a romantic evening. (It was a good excuse for a road trip, but of course I didn't tell her that! ;) )

So while we were up there, I seized the opportunity to take a couple of cheeky snaps! the eagle eyed among you will spot that it doesn't have the correct 'RS' sticker fitted. This has since been removed and the correct OEM sticker is waiting to go on. (£27.50!! :eek: )

Couple of pics......

10gh2lv.jpg

14o3xxw.jpg

2ef1e36.jpg

2moq9m8.jpg

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
what happened to the mazdaspeed bar? that looked well. are you putting in a more sturdy bar?

looks tidy as hell that thing mate. The Arc bits are nice too, has the full airbox and chamber along with the mazdaspeed brace etc, so has a few quids worth of parts on it to be fair.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what happened to the mazdaspeed bar? that looked well. are you putting in a more sturdy bar?

looks tidy as hell that thing mate. The Arc bits are nice too, has the full airbox and chamber along with the mazdaspeed brace etc, so has a few quids worth of parts on it to be fair.
Thanks mate. There was a wanted ad for the Mazdaspeed bar, so I responded and it's now fitted to a really nice 5 in France! He was a really nice guy to deal with.

I think I'll put a tr lane roll bar in there at a later date.....

Yeah I'm a big fan of the arc set up, which I was happy to pay a bit extra for the car, will hopefully stop me going FI for a while! My plan is to take all those bits off over winter and get them polished up!

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lovely car and nice to see one with the seats still in!
If you'd ever consider selling this arc air box (not the chamber) please let me know
Thanks, I can't see me ever selling that ARC box to be fair, unless I go FI. To be fair I did have someone ask me the other day if they could buy it.

I am willing to sell the Mazdaspeed strut brace however.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing too exciting to report, however the parts are coming thick and fast for the winter "refresh" while the car is tucked away for hibernation....

Will update as and when I fit parts, but so far items to fit include:

P5 Frame rails

Mx5parts smoked front sidelights, smoked side repeaters and front reflectors

Moss cobalt 3 point front upper strut brace

Momo Tuner 320mm steering wheel

Joyfast shorty gear knob

Beatrush ali slam panel

KG Works billet oil cap

And these 15" Ronal LS alloys......

28va813.jpg

I went for these as I love the original bbs's, these are identical but have a deeper dish and lower offset so should look better whilst maintaining that oem+ look.

This is just the start and have quite a buit planned, nothing too drastic, just some good quality parts to try improve the car, but straying too far away from original spec:

Planning on getting some Meister R coilovers and a full racing beat system with silenced de-cat, oem front and rear lower spoilers....

Cheers

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Today has been quite a big day, no pics as of yet, but it has been fully stripped, engine removed and dropped off at the bodyshop for a full respray, plus the addition of a new nosecone, OEM rear lower lip spoiler and a vented headlamp lid....

Lot's of new parts to fit once it's back! In the meantime will be going over the engine, replacing any oil seals and general, preventative maintenance.

Will try and update with pics when I get 5 mins, but exciting times.....

9,290 Posts
Looking forward to seeing the updates. Nice work.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Today has been quite a big day, no pics as of yet, but it has been fully stripped, engine removed and dropped off at the bodyshop for a full respray, plus the addition of a new nosecone, OEM rear lower lip spoiler and a vented headlamp lid....

Lot's of new parts to fit once it's back! In the meantime will be going over the engine, replacing any oil seals and general, preventative maintenance.

Will try and update with pics when I get 5 mins, but exciting times.....
Wow sounds like exciting times... Which bodyshop are you using for the full respray?

Subscribed.....

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah exciting AND expensive! :lol:

I'm using Bodyshop 3000 based in Baston. They've done a lot of work for me (trade) so I trust them. They do a lot of restorations on VW's E-Type jags, quite high end stuff, so hopefully in good company. I will endeavour to get some pics up once things calm down a bit....

1 - 20 of 127 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.