Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, its actually not too bad. Previous owner gave me a replacement wing but its a bit rusty and the stitching has ripped on the rear window but managed to get a hard top for it today from a friendly forum member on here so will now be keeping the weather out
Just need to let the bank account relax a little before starting on making it more my own

· Registered
196 Posts
Are they Enkei PRO-2J's? 15"?

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got my New hard top on to keep the weather out. future plans are to paint to whole car so it all matches but want to get everything looking and sitting right first. Job for the weekend is to raise the front about 10mm.

Also got a New gearknob as didn't like the small wooden one

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Cheers Stuart. I did remember right then!

Found out why the stereo didnt sound too hot ( not that i really listen to it as exhaust sounds nice and fruity with the roof down! ). Looks like the door speakers were the originals and hadnt stood the test of time too well

Pretty sure they should be connected around the edge
. Anyway I picked up some cheapies which will do the job for now

Were pretty simple to fit but dont sound great to be honest. Will probably go for making my own door cards at some point and getting something a bit bigger and better in there. Other things to sort first though.

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Quick pic at its new ride height. Hardly noticeable to the eye but now doesn't rub on the arches in slow tight corners.

Have to admit the red and green colour scheme is starting to grow on me so toying with the idea of raiding the piggy bank for some of these and some rising sun graphics for the white mirrors. hmmm

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Well, a tiny bit more progress. Have recently bought some new wheels from here and just waiting for them to turn up and then swap tyres on them. Will give them a good polish up before fitting too.

Also fitted the rear spats that came with the car which should look good with the new wider wheels

Then need to sell of the old wheels and a few other bits to put some money back in the toy fund so i can go on the hunt for a bucket seat ( although may have found one already
), different mirrors, clear side repeaters and a few interior bits

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Got the tyres swapped over at the weekend. Had a small hiccup when we found the wheel nuts wouldnt fit the new wheels but a quick trip out for a new set and all sorted. Am going to look out for a new set of studs as would like them to be about 10mm longer really. Happy with the way the car looks and sits now though.

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, got a bit more done today. Took the old soft top off and by the state of it that was a good plan. It actually fell apart as i was removing it. Going to run just the hard top for winter and im picking up a good roof next weekend but will store it unfolded inside over winter and fit in the spring so its not spending all winter folded up. Also went to change the rear studs on the car to longer ones to suit the new wheels and ran into an issue as my sockets only go up to 27 and the rear hub nut is a 29
. Will be taking a trip in to town later to see if i can get a suitable impact socket. When I originally read up on changing the rear studs it just mentioned about bending the disk shield and then being able to remove 1 stud at a time but guessing thats not for a mk1 1.6. Will teach me to double check before dismantling everything! I also have a rear interior brace bar to fit bit mine has the holes in the supports next to the seat belt but no captive nuts so will need to get some suitable nuts so I can bolt it in. Oh well, gave her a quick jet wash off too as a treat.

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well had fun this weekend. Managed to change the rear studs to extended ones. That was certainly harder than i originally thought but got there in the end. Also picked up a decent soft top for it yesterday so shall be storing that open over winter and then fitting it in the spring once the weather warms up a bit as I dont want it sitting in the car folded all winter.

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Went to the Skuzzle Dyno day on saturday and had a great time. Saw a lot of friendly fellow nutz'ers and some great cars. Had mine on the dyno (which is quite scary when you hear your car going full bore and not moving!) and was pretty happy with the results considering the rollers had been called the heart breaker Here is the first run and the car is basically a standard 1.6 with quite a few miles on it ;-)

Nick then changed the crystal in the ecu and we had a second run. Its not a massive hp increase but the car drives SO much nicer now. Havent had the bottle to take it to the new 8k rev limit yet but it sounded the nuts on the rollers

Also good to see and hear some of the other cars on there, the V6 being rather cool and I think my ears are still ringing from that! All in all a great day and I shall be saving the pennies for a trip back to skuzzle for a few more toys for the car

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Well, a little bit more done. Met up with Shane from here last night to pick up a ducktail spoiler for the back of the car. Just needs a little prep before spraying a matt black and fitting. Also got some matt black mirrors on the way hopefully and looking to get a mk1 golf duckbill front spoiler soon too. Car is also hopefully going into Monsterwraps soon to get the hardtop painted in, you guessed it, matt black! Going to tidy up the wing I have sitting in the garage and fit that then hopefully the car should look a bit more respectable!

· Garage Monkey
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mirrors turned up so I went out today to fit them and must say im liking them
Just need to get the roof sorted now and figure out how best to fit the rear spoiler.

Also gave the soft top a good clean and its come up really well. Not sure im going to be using it though as im probably going to be using the hard top with a full tonneau as a summer bird bomb cover if I park up anywhere. I don't use the car much so don't need to worry too much about practicality.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.