Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I'm turning my old mx5 into an Exocet I've been missing driving one so I decided to buy another
I did buy another laguna blue S-Special but sold it on to pay for the kit part of the exocet build, but now that is getting well on I thought I'd keep on the look out for another, I was planning on buying my friends Integra Type R but had major rust and insurance on those is still a fortune and mx5's can now be placed on classic insurance so hence my choice, plus I love the way they drive.

I managed to pick up a 1993 S-Special in Laguna Blue / Perky blue ( 6w I believe) depending on which colour chart you look at. Here are some of the bad points

No M.O.T
No tax
Coolant inlet pipe snapped so no coolant in the engine
Engine misfire
Roof cut and leaking badly
alternator belt snapped
Interior carpet soaking wet
lexus rear lights
17" wheels and slashed tyres
aftermarket rear bumper
no radio and wiring ripped out
rear brakes binding on (possible calipers)
nasty centre exhaust

here are the good bits

Price paid £300
laguna blue, by far the nicest colour the mx5 came in imo
chrome style bars
original yellow strut brace
lsd
electric windows and mirrors
no oil leak
pretty rust free only slight surface rust in places
private plate GAZ 8028
blue engine bay hoses
hks mushroom filter
very clean seats with headrest speakers and thumper speakers in the back rests
92km so around 60,000 miles
chrome air vents, pop up light surround and gear surround
lowered springs and uprated shocks

So all in all a fairly decent base car to start and if it turns out to be rotten I can easily make my money back. However breaking it isn't my plan. I've removed the wheels and fitted my set of genuine s-special 15" Mazda BBS alloys but yet to fit my centre caps as i'm missing one, i have sourced a new leak free roof which i sold to the guy who bought my last mx5, luckily he had just put it in his garage and never touched it, result as i bought it back for less money than i sold it as well
I sorted the misfire as one of the plug leads had popped off
I am also currently trying to sort out a deal on a standard rear bumper and mudflaps in the same colour and some standard rear lights.

So my plans:
put on new roof to make it water tight
strip the full interior and dry out all the carpets and floors, including the boot
repair coolant pipe
fit new clutch slave cylinder
changed all fluids and service
replace fan belts
fit standard rear lights and bumper
fit my HKS super drager backbox
remove charcoal canister
make side mount number plate holder
fit cd player
M.O.T
Damn good wash clay polish and wax
however this might come first

Well here are the pictures i have so far but i will update them as i go

When i went to look at it

At home checking it over, throwing out any junk i found inside and making it more water tight

New wheels fitted

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
nice little base car mate, keep us posted.

·
Registered
6,268 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah it's nice to find a decent one to try and restore back on the road again where it belongs, the bbs wheels are the 15" versions and are very light,
Tonight I removed the carbon canister and did a little engine bay wiring tuck and removed some unwanted brackets.
I also stripped the interior and fitted the new roof to make it water tight, so it's looking a little better now with a good roof on it, I just need to remove the carpet and dry it out. I also adjusted the boot latch as it wasn't closing fully so was wet in there too.

Ill post some pictures when I get on my laptop.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Nice car for a project. I'd agree Laguna Blue is the best colour for 5's. I have a 1994 Laguna blue S Special like yours, and the guy who does my paint wotk insists on calling it Perky Blue!! Keep us posted on the progress, I'm pleased to hear that you're saving it.

Cheers
Alex.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bit more of an update, spent a few hours on Friday night sorting out some bits. Removed the carbon canister and some unneeded brackets from the engine bay. Tucked a few of the wires out of the way and reworked the MAF wiring. I got the misfire sorted, basically cylinder 1 plug lead had popped up by a cm so plugged in back in and it runs fine now. I also topped up the oil as it was just on the bottom of the dip stick and now the HLA noise has also gone
result.

I moved onto the interior and removed all the carpets from the boot and the rear panel and dried out the boot. The boot wasn't shutting fully so i also adjusted the latch and it sits as it should now. I took the carpets from the inside out and rear trim panel and removed the old tatty roof and fitted my old one i had got back from the sale of my last 5. I started about 9 and finished at 11 so wasn't too bad, was tricky trying to work with just the outside security light and a torch but they ain't hard to swap over.

Ill take some pictures in the day light and post them up later on. I just need to remove the floor carpet to get the inside fully dried out now.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cant wait to get this clayed polished and waxed, it will be stunning in bright sunshine

Interior needs some work still...

And the rear bumper, exhaust and rear lights that need sorting

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
U towed it with no tax ur lucky cops didn't get u. I did same to goto my local garage and was told to get it on a flat bed....or he will do me for on a public road with no valid tax.
Yeah i used trade plates so should have been ok anyway

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Right well after the crappy weather we've all had i managed go get out this morning to get cracking on the car again, the poor kit car is getting a little left out now due to the mx5 but need to make space in the garage and at the minute a lot of the mx5 is in there drying out so need to do this first to make space.

I removed all the interior today including the floor carpet then hung it on the line to dry in the sun
I also removed the central locking units from the doors, the wiring and then removed the alarm system. It only had one dodgy remote fob and was on its way out plus the remote locking didn't work. After i took all that out i found it also had an immobilizer fitted but ive kept that for now. There was a stick on kit which had been fitted to the centre console and gear lever which was also removed but i cant take it from the door cards as its pulling the vinyl off so left that on for the time being.

I cleaned out all the water and hoovered the inside and engine bay the set about the floor carpet, didn't get many pictures as my phone had died but will get some when it goes back together.

I fitted new wiper blades and fixed the horn which wasn't working and refitted the steering wheel which is tiny. All in all a good few hours spent on it and the inside is now nice and dry, shame i cant say the same for the boot, its still soaking so i really need to changed those aweful rear lights for ones that seal and dont let water in.

Anyway here's how it stands at the minute.

Next up is to refit the interior, and fit a cd player, whoever worked on the car previous decided spade terminal and scotch locks were the way to go with this :s but will be better once that's all done, then i can make a start on getting it running right.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, well been a very productive weekend, spent a couple of hours in the scrapyard getting some much needed parts on a cold frosty Saturday morning then got up nice and early today and, well spent about 8 hours plodding on so lots done.

First off i took the rear bumper off and swapped for a standard one with mudflaps. Pretty straight forward, had a few snapped bolts but easily sorted.

Took the exhaust off which I'm thinking of fitting to the Exocet and then hung my old HKS back box on, need to take the centre section off the Exocet but the bolts were seized so need to take the whole exhaust off and cut them off but didn't want to side track too much. Now looks a lot better. Whilst i had the back end up i freed off the rear brakes and adjusted the handbrake, it seems okay but will know better once it goes for it's M.O.T.

Swapped over the rear lights and fitted the seals from the lexus lights as they were in much better condition than the new ones i got.

Fitted the battery and secured it, had to cut the bracket and bend it a little as I'm using a battery from a FORD (wonder why
) and then got the hoover out and cleaned the boot, cleaned all the carpets which were now dry and refitted.

Next up, interior. I had already refitted the carpets and cleaned them once but got the hoover out and did it all again, this made a big difference. I finished fixing the seat belts and putting in some new clips and bolts i got from the scrappy to finished off nicely now. Seats all cleaned and bolted back in. Then stripped the drivers side door and adjusted the window as it was catching on the roof. All sorted and the interior is nearly nearly done, last job is to fit the cd player.

Well going well i decided to start on the engine. I took the power steering pump off to get to the old water pump inlet housing. As you can see where the pipe had snapped off.

First bolt came out okay on the housing but the second one sheered off :mad: damn it..... this is made even more difficult in the fact that the air con pump is in the way so have to get it with a spanner. So i got it off and weighed up the options.

1. try to use mole grips to get it out, but might just knack it all together.
2. air con pump off and drill it out and re-tap, too time consuming and my taps were at work.
3. as the bolt snapped flush with the housing not the engine this left the thickness of the housing of thread sticking out, so took the grinder and a file to the housing and as its 1cm thick cut the end where it bolts on in half thus some threads sticking out and i can get a nut on.

Well i took option 3 and it worked fine, ground the housing down and put a new nut on and sealed just fine with no leaks

I rebuilt the engine and fitted a new alternator belt as the old one had snapped. tightened the power steering one and was ready to go.

Spark plugs out and re gapped and cleaned, the checked the timing with the timing light and set idle speed. All good but then noticed a coolant leak from the back of the engine now, seems to be the housing leaking but was getting a little darker and my tea was ready so I'm leaving that for another day. I did refit the number plates tho just all needs a good wash now.

As it was now dark i decided to go play with the Exocet as its feeling a little left out recently

I have also had a few ideas about the colour. As its a little rough around the edges this one and is just there to drive really maybe track/drift it a few times I'm not too fussed on the body work, however i do need to grind back a few rusty bits and then paint, my questions is as the rear bumper is black i think it looks pretty good so was thinking about painting the bottom half of the sides and front bumper below the swage line black and having a two tone effect, I figure blacks easier to paint myself than metallic blue. plus the cars been painted before so its not the same shade as the original paint anyway. Your thought would be good too.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well some parts arrived Saturday morning so got them fitted, i found when i got the car one of the headlight wasn't working so though would be a bulb, it turned out that it still had sealed beam units fitted so needed a new lamp, i had a quick look on Ebay and local parts suppliers then left it, this turned out to be a good job as when i check the car before ordering one i found that now both the lights had gone off....

i found a seller on Ebay offering 2 brand new headlights, complete with bulbs for just £23.50 delivered for the pair, that's cheaper than most sellers on Ebay wanted for one used one.

As you can see they were knackered and the new ones were nice and bright. I also stripped and detango'd the front indicators. When i opened them up the silver had discoloured and turned white so i gave them a quick spray with silver paint which makes them look a lot better.

Next up was the clutch, the pedal felt poor and slightly stiff, when i first got the car there was no fluid in the reservoir so topped it up and thought id bleed it, turns out the slave cylinder was leaking and hence the fluid loss. I fitted a new one and tried to bleed it but its still not having it, no leaks but very poor pedal. I need to try and reverse bleed it or pressure bleed it at work, if not looks like the master cylinder has gone so will need to fit one of them too.

And as she stands now

I need to adjust the drivers door too as everytime i see it the swage line annoys me
managed to get hold of a colour coded bumper too which i will collect next weekend and get fitted, but its getting there.

List of jobs left to do is:

wire in the cd player,
strip and clean all brakes,
sort the clutch issue,
tracking,
fix the small coolant leak from the rear of the head,
and then should be good to go for m.o.t at work see if it needs anything else.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.