Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening

I picked up my fantastic Mk1 5 yesterday morning and couldn't be happier with it. Details of the car are here My link - I haven't taken any pics yet as I've been too busy driving it

However, there are a few very small issues that I could do with some advice on, as I'm new to these lovely little cars:

1. Electric windows barely move at all, but (with engine running only) will eventually get to the bottom..... I've read snippets about removing the centre console to get to a switch, anyone have a link to how to do this?

2. After spending far too long with the roof down on the M6 keeping up with my wife in our diesel repmobile, what are the recommendations for a rear windshield thingy?

3. Speakers - luckily my car has the rear shelf speakers (Clarion) as the front ones are shot - what size would I need for replacements? Are they standard 6.5" coaxials?

4. There is a fairly large amount of vibration between 60 and 70, I assume this is down to wheel balancing, or is it some kind of MX5 temporal flux issue that's common to them all?

5. The driver's door catches at the top edge and needs a good slam to close. The previous owner mentioned this to Supercarclassics when he bought it and they told him it was normal - is it, or is it a droopy door hinge?

I think that's all, but the good news is that the car is perfect apart from the small things above and drives like a dream. I had great fun on the twisties around Royston in the dark last night with the roof down and heater on and again in the sun today - I even managed to get a sunburnt forehead

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just found this on Pistonheads: "Electric windows get slow and stick over time, if they still go up and down fully the runners just need dousing in silicone spray grease from halfords" - can anyone tell me what this actually means? Do I spray joggers with silicon spray grease when I drive past them? How will that help?

·
Registered
533 Posts
1. Electric windows barely move at all, but (with engine running only) will eventually get to the bottom..... I've read snippets about removing the centre console to get to a switch, anyone have a link to how to do this?

..............................First thing to try is getting a can of Auto Glym Silicon Spray/Cleaner. It's a aerosol normally used to shine up vinly or rubber etc etc but if you spray it all over the rubber surrounds and runners on the electric windows and down in where the glass goes down in to the door it has the effect of lubricating all the surrounds which makes it much easier for the mech to move the glass. Spray it in liberally and then carefully move the window up and down to work it in and see if the window moves better. Sometimes windows that hardly moved at all before will be completly cured just by doing this. If this doesn't work then you will need to remove the doorcards (it's just a few screws) and then the card pops out as it's then just retained by push in style clips that can go back in no problem. Then you would need to carefully remove the plastic seal (so you can put it back on afterwards and lubricate everything. Try the sililcon spray first and give the solution a chance to settle in and work the windows up and down.

2. After spending far too long with the roof down on the M6 keeping up with my wife in our diesel repmobile, what are the recommendations for a rear windshield thingy?

.................. Er if you haven't already then fit a windblocker. It looks pretty gay and like it wouldnt do anything but actually its very effective.

3. Speakers - luckily my car has the rear shelf speakers (Clarion) as the front ones are shot - what size would I need for replacements? Are they standard 6.5" coaxials?

..........PASS

4. There is a fairly large amount of vibration between 60 and 70, I assume this is down to wheel balancing, or is it some kind of MX5 temporal flux issue that's common to them all?

.............Wheel balancing, tracking, tyre pressures?

5. The driver's door catches at the top edge and needs a good slam to close. The previous owner mentioned this to Supercarclassics when he bought it and they told him it was normal - is it, or is it a droopy door hinge?

.........Doesn't sound normal to me. Japanese build quality is usually excellent. PASS however.

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
As said above.

1) Windows - first off try silcone lubricant down the rubbers where the front edge of the window runs in. (you can get it from halfords in a spray tin).

Take the door cards off... take the plastic sheet off... look inside where the rubber bit goes down and get ur little tube on the end of your spray and get some of the lubricant in there.
Lower the window and do the same in the top half you will now have access to. Get lots in there and just wipe excess off with some tissue... it will get all over the windows.

I've done just this on mine this evening and the passenger window went from almost un-usable to slow but perfectly usable.

Ideally you need the window regulators out, cleaned up and then all re-greasing for a better solution... look in the technical FAQs I'm sure there's a sticky in there.

2) Windbreak - Get yourself an OEM windbreak (I just fitted one to my car, bought it off a member on here for just £30) or a style bar with a windbreak built in.

3) Speakers - yes standard 6.5" coax will fit just fine... you may have to drill a couple of holes as they won't like up with all the OEM holes but they will fit fine... there's plenty of space too as the window doesn't come near it so get some nice beefy deep large magnets in there!

4) Vibration - I had a bad vibration around 70 when on my old 14" wheels... on the new 15" wheels with new tyres and balanced no vibrations at all... so check the balance checked... and maybe the tracking.

5) Drivers door... not sure on that one!

Enjoy!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, thanks for the replies so far

Unfortunately I'm away for a couple of days, but it looks like I'll have a few jobs for the weekend (assuming I can stop driving it for five minutes).

I'll also trawl the FAQs (but can't find the one about the windows yet) and the classifieds for a windbreak and get some nice beefy speakers ordered - maybe Hertz or Infinity, any other ideas?

I'll probably leave the vibration for now and get the car down to WIM eventually for a full alignment when I have time.

Anyone know anything about drivers' doors sticking?

·
Registered
128 Posts

Unfortunately I'm away for a couple of days, but it looks like I'll have a few jobs for the weekend (assuming I can stop driving it for five minutes).

I'll also trawl the FAQs (but can't find the one about the windows yet) and the classifieds for a windbreak and get some nice beefy speakers ordered - maybe Hertz or Infinity, any other ideas?

I'll probably leave the vibration for now and get the car down to WIM eventually for a full alignment when I have time.

When you close the door slowly, just as it hits the top of the rear quarterpanel is it noticeably lower than the quarterpanel? If so, if you get hold of the door and try to lift the rear lower corner is there a detectable movement? When the door is closed does the vertical shutline at the trailing edge look even all the way up? If the answers are yes, yes and yes then I'd guess the top hinge pin is worn out. Certainly the doors are not meant to hit the bodywork, if it was a Triumph Spitfire then I'd say it's normal
but most 5's I've looked at over the last month (all with 90k ish miles) have had pretty good door shuts to be honest. Glad you like the car though.

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts

Check this thread out for the electric windows... will help.

http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=38709

I bought my windbreak off Miles on here... he did have another perfect one for ?40... might be worth dropping him a PM if you were interested.

I've got Infinity's in my doors... just full range not comps. I think they sound really good and have had them in my last 4 cars... think they are getting tired and battered now tho and the tweeters might be on the way out.... I'd only ever replace them with another set of Infinitys now though as I've had such good experience with them.

HTH
Craig

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lol, it's not a big problem - my brother had an MG Midget when I was a teenager, so I know all about 'the original' roadsters and their reliability issues.... the wings had been filled with newspaper!

I'll get the cover off in the morning and check what you suggested then report back.

Thanks

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
Craig - thanks for the link, that's exactly what I needed

I'll see if Miles still has that windbreak too - who said these were cheap cars?!?
No problem, hope it helps.

I know.. I've spent way too much on what is my second 5 now already.. it's addictive!

Getting married this year, think I might have to curb the 5 spending otherwise I might be divorced before I'm even married!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep, my wife has suggested that buying myself a two seater sports car when we already have two cars (and two kids) might be the last thing I should spend money on for a while...... she can dream!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
my leccy windows were both really slow, untill I had to change the door over for a less dented one. I greased up the runners and rubber side runners with bike chain grease I found in the shed and its worked a treat.. I thought the motors were dying but obviously not!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts