Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Some people know I am in Japan
and some of those 'some people' know I got a RX7 FD here
I got it off a local circuit owner at a rather decent price of 300000yen, roughly 2000pounds
I am sure the car wont pass the Japanese MOT, as the exhaust makes a super nice noise
also no horn (or maybe just broken), no bonnet catch (but pin), and I can tell it wont pass emission by just smelling the exhaust gas
. Somehow I got a dodgy MOT and the car came with 2 years MOT lol, only safety elements checked

The car is in mechanically good condition, Japanese people dont lie and he told me it does about 350bhp
which I think is fairly likely as it feels like 350bhp

Previous owner was a circuit regular, the car was well maintained by him as well as the circuit garage
history of the car was quite clear as the car has always been taken cared by the boss, he said the guy change LSD and gearbox oil every 5000km (more frequent than I change my engine oil on mx5
). The car was mainly used for circuit fun

so, enough bullshit now. here are the interesting bits. Mods that I know of (only the important ones). Not sure about the porting as I never really got time to play with it that much (I dont have a garage in Japan)
- Apexi PowerFC ECU
- Some kind of high efficiency catback exhaust, for competition use not street use hence no JASMA
- ARC intake box
- Uprated pully
- HKS 10degrees spark plugs (dont know how it should be called properly but it makes trouble for town use)
- FWIN radiator
- Amemiya rear diffuser
- Tein Flex
- Undercar bracing, blue in colour so maybe cusco? or greddy... I know which one but cant remember
- Metal pillow ball
- 5Zigen brake disc front
- Endless brake pads
- Some more I cant think of any at the moment. see from the pic. Most disappointing is the intercooler is OEM so it is not producing a massive amount of bhp... however 350 is more than enough to me just for a year

I didn't post up the pics when I bought it because I think it looked shite. I am a student and dont really have a job in Japan so I need to save up for parts. After so long I finally saved up enough money to do up my car... here are the pics

This is the very first time I go see the car. Very dirty and looks dodgy. My Japanese friend highly recommanded him and I trust them since if I dont trust them I can't trust anybody in Japan
You wont buy it if you go view a car like this in UK eh?

I did plan to make the car like this... but of course I gave up

This is when I got it back home

The meters

Japan cars dont rust...!!!

I know you have been waiting for this pic for long. I havent done and will not do any further mod as I only keep it for a year and I am skint as fuck in Japan because of this car

little bit of interior

One day I bought some new wheels... and I fitted a very ugly ducktail spoiler which I hated

I loved this chair in my room...

I suffered from very bad misfiring and idling drop due to 'too hot' spark plugs, the HKS one. here is the result... and now I use OEM spec NGK ones. You can never believe how much faster the HKS 'fast' plugs are compare to NGK ones

Yes, sadly I am a new driver in Japan

And today, I did this

How many times will u be stopped by police if you place your number plate like that in UK?

For now it looks like this.. I think is presentable so I finally posted it up

To make you guys hate me, I think I should post up the price I got the parts

Rays wheels with good thread tyres 10000yen
Ducktail spoiler 1000yen
Sparco seat 6000yen
Bumper 10000yen
GT wing 5000yen
Hate me now I dont care

Now, I need someone to make a decision for me...
should I strip the interior and make it very trackday-friendly? My strip will only be removing rear seats, carpets and really unnecessarily plastic trims

tomorrow I would have my sideskirts fitted.. if I can make it before dark
also give it a good clean

wish you enjoyed the read
I still like my MX5 more don't worry

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I knew you had an rx7

Nah don't strip it its pointless. There will be no gain and look shit. Your car is looking awesome.

If it wont pass the mot what will you do when you come back to England? Surely no one will buy it with no mot?

Man i would want to export that back to england or maybe sell it and buy loads of stuff to bring back.

I think youy should do what i suggested. Buy a bus, fit 25 racing seats to it to sell and pack it full of jdm goodness

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Japanese MOT is every 2 years mate. So when I come to sell it it will still have 1 year and a bit remaining. I think it would be pretty easy to sell especially I got it cheap and I dont mind selling cheap as long as I make my money back

I am planning to do a Project Mu M2 Hanbai brake pad group buy on here
apparently they are very good, under the name of M2 hanbai but it is made by project Mu

they are cheap as well.. around 100quid for whole car

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
FD looks nice, can't believe the prices you get stuff for! Does that mean you can bring me a cheap FC back then?
you can actually get a 'UK immaculate condition' FC for around 1000 pounds in Japan
I dont mind to find one for you as long as you come to Japan and pick it up

something like this...
FC

damn cant believe there is a tokyo drift veilside FD for sale.. and is cheap
FD

·
;)
629 Posts
Move the plate a bit perhaps, the FD produce plenty of heat, I wouldn't want to block any of the air going to the radiator.

Also, with everything being so cheap a stock mounted intercooler upgrade should be cheeeap.

Also, the old front bumper looked alot better, but thats just me.

I'm envious by far, and it looks good and fun!

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Move the plate a bit perhaps, the FD produce plenty of heat, I wouldn't want to block any of the air going to the radiator.

Also, with everything being so cheap a stock mounted intercooler upgrade should be cheeeap.

Also, the old front bumper looked alot better, but thats just me.

I'm envious by far, and it looks good and fun!
the number plate should be fine as it has been blocking the radiator for some time without problem

I could get an uprated intercooler for just 40quid or so (famous branded one, last one I saw was Greddy IIRC) but the thing is I may need extra hoses or even relocation of battery and intake to make it fit well... so not really worth the hassle as I will be only owning it for another few months. I have been considering doing it but the circuit owner told me the intercooler now is very much enough for trackday uses. The car has spent loads of time on track without problem so I guess it will survive as it is now

I like the old bumper as well... but if you see it in real and clearly it is very tatty and have been smashed into bits, even the mountings are broken and is held by zip ties
I was planning to get another one which is exactly the same but it was too costly... it was a fujita engineering one (brand new costs 100000yen painted in Japan!)

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
little bit of update, didnt fit anything but tried to repair the non-popup popup lights (motor relay broken in the passenger side one)
failed because I cant be arse to remove the front bumper again just to replace it... will wait until next time
and I found out I forgot to bolt the ground wire of passenger window up when I fitted new bumper... so damn it I need to remove and fit bumper again some other day anyway

today also test fitted the sideskirts, will repair them before fitting

here are the pics

cant afford to buy new indicators yet... so is a ghetto temporary fix! nice air duct for the intake though!

skirts

will probably fabricate a set of splitter for the skirts as I think will look nice.. splitter like the TDR one thin sheet of thing splitter under the lip on MK2's. or like hooligan's mx5 on the side

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
Anyone that knows me knows i'm not a VTEC or rotary fan, mid range grunt FTW!!!!111 for me.

BUT i really like the FD, still needs a bit of stirring to get going, but the whole car just seems to work right.
If i saw a decent Auto FD i'd have it.

So i like it

Gotta agree with nmwisimabollox though, i liked it better without the wing and with the old wheels.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Ι liked the car more on the first day you got it. Sorry.
why

[/quote]

I take it back!

No really! I couldnt see the indicator lights on the dark pics and I thought they were possitioned in an angle which looked ugly. Now I see the bumper is for the later lights which by the way I love.

So, the only thing now, its that wing. I dont like wings. Specially bgw. specialy on Rx7s which I looooooove without wing at all!

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ι liked the car more on the first day you got it. Sorry.
why

[/quote]

I take it back!

No really! I couldnt see the indicator lights on the dark pics and I thought they were possitioned in an angle which looked ugly. Now I see the bumper is for the later lights which by the way I love.

So, the only thing now, its that wing. I dont like wings. Specially bgw. specialy on Rx7s which I looooooove without wing at all!

[/quote]
will this video change your mind?

RX7 GT wing

·
The Hong Kong Nutzer
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
id be importing that back to the uk if i could
Me too, if only to sell it at a profit.
[/quote]
nah the bodywork is still shit after changing the bumper, there are two big dents on the body which I guess is quite hard to filler out

and price of rx7 in UK isnt really that high, many good looking ones could only fetch for like 5k or so
considering my car costed me 2.5k (incl all the bits i spent on) and importing paperwork and stuff cost 2k
it would be difficult to sell

if not for selling, i dont want to long term own a rx7
it breaks too often and tooooooooooooo expensive to run
most importantly is i am still young and wont be able to get insurance on this beast

did a 240km/h run today and I think i need a bonnet catch... just the pins dont hold it well

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.