Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

161 - 180 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
That looks like it went in relatively easily! I seem to remember my 99 vics engine taking me a bit longer to swap :rolleyes: I'm just doing some experimenting on the standard 1.8 crossover tube being restrictive and fitting the one from the mk2 which doesn't have a large restriction in it where it enters the throttle body. You might be able to free up a few more horses top end with the NB one.

49993422027_cabe217f15_w.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Yeah it do go surprisingly well!

I did ask the guy that I got the engine off to include the NB crossover but he forgot, think I will definitely change the original one soon.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #163 ·
Time for a few more lockdown mods...

The first wasn't really planned although I had been considering getting a lightweight battery as the one that came with the car is pretty big and really wasn't fitted well when I picked up the car!:

50051166951_b399c69155_b.jpg

After ordering a new battery for my lawnmower then finding out there was no problem with the original I thought I'd see if it would fit, it's slightly smaller and a few kilos lighter but still with a reasonable capacity:

50021686658_ee9bf4897d_b.jpg

50021686013_527a0f8c8e_b.jpg

With an ebay bracket slightly modified it almost looks like it was meant to be there and most importantly starts the car fine!

50022485757_2e29a8bdaf_b.jpg

Next surprisingly for me was a cosmetic change, the mirrors on the car had always looked a little sad having been touched up badly on one side and cracking at the other:

50051401192_54ac41c01e_b.jpg

instead of trying to get a colour match I decided to just go for gloss black to tie in with the ducktail and splitter, after a slightly failed first attempt with them ending up very matt they came out ok in the end:

50050577793_519707fe6a_b.jpg

50050569278_635d664c75_b.jpg

50051157816_1b8846d6bf_b.jpg

The seat mounts were something else that had been irritating me a little, my home made ones were doing the job but I didn't have any easy adjustment and thought I could get a lower position with proper ones, plus I'd been lazy when fitting them and never painted them so they were very crusty...

50022224926_e53ea8968b_b.jpg

A set of skidnation and RCC mounts came up secondhand so I snapped them up, with them fitted I have now got the drivers seat a little lower (after a lot of swearing, getting seats in the right position is probably the worst job I've done on this car!) and handily saved a few kilos as one set of my original girders weighed more than both sets of the new mounts:

50022196626_2d731994f7_b.jpg

50051390442_a11a6fed91_b.jpg

Whilst the seats were out I thought I'd also get some fixed hardtop mounts to give a little more room and hopefully stiffen things up a little, so I thought I'd quickly whip off the original mounts... not realising these are held on with crap screw head bolts and covered in loctite!:

50050580218_02e1251b66_b.jpg

50050581598_c6a6e297a2_b.jpg

50050576508_5ac9c3a804_b.jpg

The first came out ok then the next two sheared, I should've taken a break and tried to get the others out more gently but instead got pissed off and snapped the next and rounded the last! :wallbash: I then had to spend a day drilling the remnants out. Once done I could finally get the Jass fixed mounts on:

50050585438_a4ef8c6cd3_b.jpg

50051155876_2ed125f7fd_b.jpg

50050582903_847d4c6fec_b.jpg

To finish things off I also made up some fixed plates for the rear mounts and replaced the frankenstein bolts, thankfully this was much easier!:

50022226851_3240c4cc53_b.jpg

50022226111_1623b90d8b_b.jpg

With all that done the Eunos is looking slightly better, hopefully a bit more rigid, slightly lighter and obviously more powerful with the new MK2.5 engine, so it's ready for a good thrashing. A trackday is booked at Knockhill tomorrow...I'm desperate to break into the 62sec lap window round there, I'm just hoping the weather plays ball!!

50051142661_614db1829b_b.jpg

50051397207_c7026e10f7_b.jpg

50050572823_c0e516a8d5_b.jpg

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #165 ·
Black mirrors definitely suit the car :thumb-up: they go with the wheels and spoiler
Yeah think I do prefer them actually.

So my first track action of the year has been and gone, it was.... wet. Despite all the great weather recently Knockhill was typically horrible, the spray behind other cars was silly and it got so bad at one point that I was aquaplanning on the straight (I was stubborn and travelled down with only my R888R's on despite having an almost new set of Rainsports :rolleyes: ).

It did get slightly better towards the end but not enough to really see what difference my changes have made and it was still very slippy!;

I was almost matching my previous top speed on the main straight despite exiting the chicane slower and braking much earlier at the first corner so hopefully in the dry the extra power will make a difference... yet again, I'll hope for dry weather next time!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Thought I'd add some photos from the trackday last weekend (Courtesy of DB Media and Chasing 7)... shows the conditions early on!

50079269467_da4db1ded8_b.jpg

50078487653_5d8f4d7ffa_b.jpg

50079272402_aafaf2fed6_b.jpg

50079021106_c144360251_b.jpg

50079263127_a4ffa0dd76_b.jpg

50079007271_5a243c530c_b.jpg

And unfortunately yes I got overtaken by an SUV... but it does have over 500bhp!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
With none of the sprints/hillclimbs running this year the Eunos Ecosse club have been busy doing trackdays at the various places we normally visit, I've been a bit too busy for most but headed down to Knockhill this weekend with the club in hope of some decent weather.

The forecast was light cloud and 10% chance of rain all day but at knockhill that means nothing, it was of course fully wet on arrival. This was a hot hatch day so multiple group sessions over the day, the first was a very slippy one and just as it started to dry someone managed to lose an oil filter and dump an oil slick around the track that took almost 2 hours to clear.

So we only get 4 sessions with less than 10 laps on each in the whole day, thankfully the last two were dry but it took time to build up the pace, this is some footage of my final one:

As before I was hoping the new engine would get me under the 63 second lap barrier but I didn't quite make it, a 63.39 is the quickest I've been but there's definitely more time there as it wasn't the tidiest lap. I'm sure with a bit more time on a dry track I can nail it!

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,868 Posts
That celica was pushing a bit, lol.

What gearing are you running, acceleration looks pretty good?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
That celica was pushing a bit, lol.

What gearing are you running, acceleration looks pretty good?
It was, just not quite enough for this MX5 though!

Just the MK2.5 6 speed with lightweight flywheel, OEM type 1 Torsen and 4.1 final drive. It's barely any quicker on the speed data with the new VVT engine though.

·
4,868 Posts
6 speed and a 4.1, interesting. And you are stock vvt power? How'd you think it'd fair with 200hp, gearing too short for fast road?

I currently have a 5 speed and 3.9, I thought it'd barely be noticeable but the car does feel more lethargic. I do have a 6 speed for it but need to save for a clutch and flywheel to do at the same time.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
6 speed and a 4.1, interesting. And you are stock vvt power? How'd you think it'd fair with 200hp, gearing too short for fast road?

I currently have a 5 speed and 3.9, I thought it'd barely be noticeable but the car does feel more lethargic. I do have a 6 speed for it but need to save for a clutch and flywheel to do at the same time.
Yeah 146bhp. I think it would be a bit tiring on the road with more power, I sit at 4k rpm just over 70mph. It's good for short tracks and knockhill but with more power I think you would want longer gearing. 3.9 and the 6 speed with a bit more power should be the sweet spot!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
This is a bit of a race report/review of my experience at Super Lap Scotland last weekend at Knockhill. Following the trackday at Knockhill with Eunos Ecosse a few members of the club were generously invited along to experience the SLS for ourselves and I got myself a guest entry for the event on the 23rd of August.

I've done a lot of trackdays at Knockhill and spectated at the SLS but never done anything competitive there so I was excited to get a guest entry. For those that don't know about SLS it is Knockhill's equivalent of Time Attack with cars spread across different classes depending on power to weight ratio and road/race car classes, my Eunos Roadster should be in the lowest class (G) someway off the PRO class and 800bhp+ Evos, Imprezas, supercharged Ariel Atom etc The aim of the SLS is to set your fastest lap over one flying lap at the end of the day, with only one warm up lap before it, there are warm up and practice sessions at the start of the day and a qualifying session before the final determining when you get out for the final Super lap.

After a last minute filling in of forms and a Zoom meeting drivers briefing I got the Eunos ready to race - which consisted of putting petrol in it! The rules follow the Motorsport UK blue book so the modifications I already have on the car for hill climbs/sprints mean the only thing I needed to do was a hire a transponder for timing, this was simply cable tied to the front grill on arrival at Knockhill.

Due to COVID the paddock was quiet (and socially distanced) with no spectators allowed, local lockdowns and other reasons also reduced the number of competitors so class G only featured one Mini Cooper race car, as I was a guest entry I wasn't really competing with anyone anyway (the fist of my excuses!)...

My prep at the circuit involved simply emptying out the car of tools, tweaking the dampers, attaching my race number then dropping the pressures on my well worn (2 year old) R888R's, and yes the car was driven to the circuit to compete.

Just in time for some nerves to develop the first group of cars were called for the warmup which involved myself, heading out onto track it felt like a trackday on steriods with the other more seriously prepped cars of classes G, F and E getting on it straight away. I was doing my best just to try and stay out of the others way! Once I found myself some space I started pushing, before the 10min session was finished I did a couple of good flying laps setting a best time of 63.41, just a couple of hundredths short of my previous best time round Knockhill so I was looking forward to chipping away at that for the rest of the day now I'd settled the nerves a little.

50291133827_60002c974f_b.jpg

A 15min practice session was next after watching the really fast cars in the higher classes show how it was done. For this session I wanted to try a simulated super lap run as that would be done on cold tyres at the end of the day with only one warm up lap, the first lap was a reasonable 64.36 but an attempt at another flying lap after didn't go so well....

[
50291133687_9bf0e76d85_b.jpg

After a bit of offroading I did a couple of slow laps to make sure nothing was going to fall off then got back on it for some more flying laps which went better:

A 63.13 on the last flying lap of practice is the best I've done in the Eunos round Knockhill and only around half a second off the Mini and even some of the cars in class F, but this was just practice, however I was confident there was still more to come....

50290984026_f7caf5eb8a_b.jpg

Back in the pits the Eunos Ecosse crew helped me swap my tyres round in record time (slowest ever - due to only having one small jack and no stands!), after lots of clockwise laps the passenger side tyres see a bit more wear so having the fresher ones on that side should help my times in qualifying... until it decided to rain.

Rain was not forecast. But for Knockhill it is almost always guaranteed! I know my worn R888R's aren't great in the wet but I had no other option so would just have to make the most of it and hope it might dry out. It didnt.

With qualifying being worth points to those actually competing I made sure to stay out of the way at the start of the session but didn't push hard enough when the track wasn't looking too bad, unfortunately a red flag stopped the session and the delay just made the track worse, I managed to again set my best time right before the end when I was slowly gaining a bit more confidence but still sliding a lot! A 69.1 was some way off the others who had mostly set their times at the start of the session but I was still hopeful of having a reasonable final run and wanted to enjoy it.

50290983956_4feecaf3f1_b.jpg

Lining up for the final superlap was again nerve wracking, the rest of the day had been like a competitive trackday but now it was all down to this one lap and so very much has the sprint element which I am used to competing in, although you normally get two shots at that...

With the green light at the end of the pits it was time to go:

Yes I messed it up badly, no reruns, that's it. I drove too slowly on the outlap and my attempts at warming up the tyres were not good enough, at the first corner I locked up and thought I wasn't making the corner, the rest of the lap was then just too tentative and topped off with a completely missed gear change on the final straight, the only missed gear change all day! Luckily there wasn't any spectators to laugh at me! I was hoping to maybe equal my qualifying time or even get down to a 68 second lap as I've done in the wet before so a 1 minute 12 second lap time was a disappointment although even some of the regulars to SLS made mistakes on their superlap.

Overall my first experience of SLS was great, as mentioned the initial sessions were like a trackday but with much more of a buzz and obviously proper timing, then the superlap element added a lot of tension to it and really puts the pressure on to nail that one lap. The rain did put a bit of a dampener on the day for me but mainly just because I wasn't expecting or prepared for it and I should've concentrated a bit more on how to approach the final superlap rather than just going for the fastest lap I could in each session.

It's a very accessible series with only a basic motorsport UK licence needed and minimal prep to the car (and driver) so if anyone is considering it I would definitely give it a go, I'll definitely be back in future.

For some excellent photos of the other cars competing check out FlatOut photography's album - https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?vanity=FlatOutPhoto&set=a.3612220658796143

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Cheers. I'm not sure with this car... depends on what happens with the hill climbs/sprints next year.

Long term I'll definitely be doing it again but in something a bit quicker hopefully.

·
@Markbcars
779 Posts
The grip on your car seems unreal, I watch your vid's and I think there is no way my car would sail around like yours does!

Great driving, love the complete setup!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #177 ·
The grip on your car seems unreal, I watch your vid's and I think there is no way my car would sail around like yours does!

Great driving, love the complete setup!
Cheers mate, it's a basic setup really but these cars work so well with just decent suspension and sticky tyres.

I was reminded of this last weekend when I was meant to be doing a trackday at Golspie in the Eunos but it failed the MOT, I took my evo instead but got a shot of a couple of other guys Mazda's whilst there and they were much more fun on the twisty track and barely any slower, they just handle so well! :driving:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not a particularly exciting update, as mentioned above the Eunos failed its MOT on the dreaded rust. It had the standard bubbles on both rear sills when I bought it so I knew they'd need done at some point and the tester did a bit more poking than I had been brave enough to do...

50393427563_2f38767ed0_b.jpg

50394286992_528e21ab37_b.jpg

Fortunately it didn't run too deep and was sorted relatively easily by a local bodyshop;

50394285562_7d0325000f_b.jpg

50394291482_589a08c769_b.jpg

I also had all the arches blown over as I'd cracked the paint when rolling them, so bodywork wise it's looking the best it has done in my ownership (or will once I give it a wash!)

50394109901_4ffa5f4876_b.jpg

50394121616_60c727bb62_b.jpg

50394119966_d3e3a2e80c_b.jpg

50394111126_1608c6896c_b.jpg

Unfortunately the mot failure also meant I missed a trackday at Golspie as mentioned above but I did get along to another at Boyndie which is another go-kart track that runs sprints, annoyingly though I forgot my action camera!

It was a fun but short day by the time I got there and very cold so the track was ridiculously slippy, I initially went straight out on my Rainsport road tyres just to see where the track went and it turned into a drift session, fun but not fast. I changed onto the R888R's and still had to manage quite a bit of sliding but the track layout suits the mazda's really well and could be balanced nicely on the throttle so good practice for learning to control that better.

I look forward to having a competitive day there as like Golspie I think the smoother track suits me better.

I've got one final trackday for this year at Kames next week which should also see me finish off my current R888R's, they've lasted well but are pretty much done now;

50394389307_7da5053588_b.jpg

As well as needing new tyres Boyndie confirmed that I could do with an improvement in the suspension as the car wasn't riding the kerbs well, I had previously thought I could do with something a little stiffer as this was highlighted previously at Knockhill where I've now realised I was actually bottoming the coilovers out...

50394418462_b9d4b4891d_b.jpg

50394418222_2a9c104eb7_b.jpg

50394240276_55f6f6076a_b.jpg

50393550068_00a6be1a22_b.jpg

So a winter upgrade is in order as I've reached the limits of the Meister CRD's...

·
4,868 Posts
I'd also be interested if you don't mind.

161 - 180 of 197 Posts