Mazda MX-5 Miata banner

181 - 197 of 197 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
Yeah it uses the tyres well, just need to rotate them sometimes but at least with asymmetric tyres they can be put anywhere.

Nothing too aggressive but seems to work;

38629203980_8e5a68c681_b.jpg
[/url]

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #183 ·
Are you running equal camber front to rear? I keep thinking about adding a bit more upfront but it does work ok as is!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Yes bofi settings were 3.0 front 2.5 rear...i thought that was maybe too aggressive and would effect braking contact patch so went with 2.5.
Only done the 1 trackday so far at Thruxton...tyres look good and even wear atmo. Front tyres seem to have worn same rate as front but Thruxton pretty much a big corner. Happy so far.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,868 Posts
I run pretty much the same toe,for camber I have -2.1 front (maxed at my ride height) and -1.6 rear (to maintain a -0.5 difference between each end). It's a new set up for me and untested on track yet, the road handling is good, though I cant safely get it to it's limit to see whether it'll want to push or rotate.

I'm also on 180tw 195 nankangs which is quite a bit less aggressive than you both.

How you do find the front/rear camber balance as you have more rear than front, does this not make the car push a bit?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Yes bofi settings were 3.0 front 2.5 rear...i thought that was maybe too aggressive and would effect braking contact patch so went with 2.5.
Only done the 1 trackday so far at Thruxton...tyres look good and even wear atmo. Front tyres seem to have worn same rate as front but Thruxton pretty much a big corner. Happy so far.

Yeah that seems to be the merican settings. I also didn't want to run too much front camber for the same reason, some of the sprint and hillclimb tracks aren't the smoothest and not having ABS I need a bit of confidence on the brakes!

I run pretty much the same toe,for camber I have -2.1 front (maxed at my ride height) and -1.6 rear (to maintain a -0.5 difference between each end). It's a new set up for me and untested on track yet, the road handling is good, though I cant safely get it to it's limit to see whether it'll want to push or rotate.

I'm also on 180tw 195 nankangs which is quite a bit less aggressive than you both.

How you do find the front/rear camber balance as you have more rear than front, does this not make the car push a bit?
Mine is really neutral generally but at Boyndie it was certainly the rear that was letting go first but was easily managed. It's really well balanced and controllable up to and over the limit, maybe it's a safe setup having more rear camber but definitely gives confidence in it!

·
4,868 Posts
Nice, thanks for the info. I have some adjustments left for more rear camber I can add if I need to, I'll see how mine does on Wednesday at Donnington and take it from there.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I must admit with 226 bhp 195s on the rear i think it would be very tail happy.
225s all round ive got mega grip everywhere and the turn in is epic...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #190 ·
I must admit with 226 bhp 195s on the rear i think it would be very tail happy.
225s all round ive got mega grip everywhere and the turn in is epic...

Yeah I'd agree! I have 205's currently and with only 140 bhp you feel like a hero being able to just keep it planted everywhere! :lol:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Not really much of an update but thought I'd put up a couple of videos from the Kames trackday I did back at the start of October, I was hoping to kill off my old R888R's (think I've said that a few times now) but typically the weather was awful!

Kames however is a very rough track which means the grip in the wet is remarkable and it takes a lot of rain for any standing water to form, so by the end of the day I was having great fun pushing the limits.. until my exhaust fell off :lol: I heard a loud pop during one of my runs which must've been the gasket blowing out then it slowly backed off the bolts during the rest of the day... if it wasn't so wet I might've actually looked underneath it to see why it was getting louder and louder!

50648316553_0f398a4056_b.jpg

50648313423_3876e4e68d_b.jpg

The wet track even seemed to clean up the Toyo's nicely so there sill appears to be life in them yet....

50649149927_5e866821f1_b.jpg

One thing which I guess is an update is me making an intake pipe from a bit of guttering...

50648280383_a1299aee21_b.jpg

50649033596_ff2ce19669_b.jpg

Gets rid of the restriction in the stock pipe but I've no idea if it's an improvement as that's the Eunos SORN'd for the winter... need to find some more upgrades to do now. :ph34r:

·
4,868 Posts
I'd check what temperature that pipe will be ok at. I saw intake air temps of 60 degrees in the summer at combe with a stock system, the piping was undoubtedly hotter still and more so after sitting once off track, last thing you want is it going floppy on you (giggidy)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Yeah I did wonder that but not much... apparently PVCu has a temperature range of 0 to 60C. Actual melting point is much higher but has a glass transition temp of 81C... so it might not be flacidity I have to worry about! :lol:

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 · (Edited)
Well it's been some time since an update on this, as usual the Eunos was tucked away for winter... and as usual I couldn't help doing a little fettling especially with Lockdown 2.0 kicking in.

After doing the VVT swap I wasn't completely happy with how the car was driving, it hadn't really given me the increase in performance I expected and was no quicker at Knockhill despite the higher peak power figure. I think the reason bein the mid-range was very flat and despite thinking it be ok since you're at higher rpm all the time on track it still didn't show on the stop watch. So I decided to change the VVT head with a MK2 BP5A and give it a slight skim at the same time... queue time lapse photos...

New timing belt kit and water pump were also put on;

And I thought I'd better clean up the original Mk1 cam cover;

Et voila, done in seconds...

The new setup instantly felt more torquey as I was expecting, with the flat response then vtec like top end gone.

A track day was booked at Knockhill to properly break in the new setup, still running the same 2 year old Toyo R888R's and the same weather at Knockhill of on-off rain! A break in weather before the final session of the day finally gave me some dry clean laps:

I finally broke into the 62's with a 62.77second lap, so a slight improvement on my previous 63.10 but with a cleaner lap (less locking of the rear axle and more commitment into duffus) there's definitely more there - and even more with new tyres!

The new setup will hopefully serve me well with the sprint and hill climbs finally kicking off again...

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
You've got a 6 speed in it don't you? I see you only really use 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Was it the same with the 5 speed?

I think I'd struggle on my Dualtechs, it looks pretty bumpy!
Yeah been running a 6 speed for quite a while. Wouldn't be using 1st in the 5 speed other than pulling away even at the hairpin but you'd probably also use 2nd into the 90 right (clarkes I think) if you had a 5 speed.

Only bumpy using the kerbs at knockhill! Round there I could do with stiffer springs and damping.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Kames Sprint 29 & 30-05-21

The first round of sprints/hillclimbs in Scotland was at Kames circuit as usual, it was a long wait after the last bit of racing in 2019! For this season I've entered the Scottish Sprint and Hill Climb Championship plus the Lowlands and Highland Championship in class A9 with Eunos Ecosse.

Before Kames it was time to ditch my old Toyo's and put a new set on, I choose to stick with the R888R's rather than the more sticky but less durable Extreme's as the set I had fell apart quickly and I couldn't be bothered with the hassle of driving down with a second set of tyres and changing at the track. I've also went down a size from 205/50's to 195/50's as I don't think the wider tyres gave a grip benefit on the short sprints/hills but did change the gearing and add weight, so the new R888R's were thrown on my RPF1's:

A slight stretch... don't lay the wheels on the faces or they will get scratched:whistle:

It was a good entry for Kames with 12 MX5's in class A9 and even better than that the forecast was glorious! I'm glad I got a trackday in at Knockhill beforehand as I was a bit rusty when first out on tack forgetting just how hard these cars can be pushed!

Saturday at Kames runs the track clockwise, my PB that way is a 98.20 which I knew could be bettered as I'd never had a good day clockwise so I was determined to improve. With only 4 runs in a day I was also going to make sure I maximised each run as building up slowly during the day just doesn't work which I learnt from the previous season.

So first run (the one and only practice) straight on it... boom 96.47seconds, where the f* did that come from!:ROFLMAO: Fastest of the MX5's and 0.3 off the class record, good start but it was only practice!

Lining up for the first timed run I knew there was still a little more time to find so I did my best to do that -

A 95.90 would be a class record... if class records were being set but due to a different start procedure (ala COVID) there would be no new records. However I wasn't fastest anyway, a 95.75 was set by Andy putting me second just ahead of Neil with a 95.93.

I wasn't sure there was much more time to find in the next two runs and sadly I was right, a missed gear on the second run saw a high 96 then the final run a 96.03. Consistent but not quite fast enough, Andy couldn't improve either but Neil's rocket of an MX5 set a 95.06. 3rd was still a great result and much better than I've gone before at Kames, the others were also running the newer Extreme R5a compound which may just have a little more grip...

Onto Sunday and anti-clockwise where I've gone better in the past, my PB being an 87.42. Same plan as Saturday - get on it straight away! An 86.54 in practice again dipped well below my PB... but again it was only practice, with Neil setting an 85.87 and Andy an 86.20 it was again going to be close.

For the first timed run I thought I'd try running a little more pressure in the Toyo's as I'd heard they liked a bit more, 32psi did not work though! The car was very tail happy and an 87.25 was no good kicking me down to 4th in class;

That left me two runs to try and improve, after removing a lot of pressure from the tyres, unfortunately it was also a lot hotter and from experience that makes things slower round Kames however I had to try:

I couldn't match that first practice run setting an 86.98 and the next was again similar but slower at 87.02. The time was just good enough for 3rd again but some way off Andy with an 85.89 and even further from Neil's 85.66.

Still a good result for me at the first round just leaving me wondering if maybe the Extreme's are the way to go but I'm to stubborn to change now!

Next up is the Golspie sprint where I went very well last time...

181 - 197 of 197 Posts