Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

My name is Jamie and I'm a 19 year old uni student from Northamptonshire.

I have always wanted an MX5 and last month decided to go for the plunge and get one, and that is when I picked up my Import 1.6 '92 Marina Blue MX5 for just under a grand! I bought the car completely standard apart from a few things such as a MOMO Wheel and Knob but thats about it.

Its the oldest car I have ever owned and its as old as me!
however its in great condition, there is no rust and the paint work is beautiful (Must have been garaged for most of its life).

I have a lot planned for this car, and have already started doing things to it. Taking snaps of my progress and will start a build thread soon!
So here we go,

First of all I took off the number plate plinth because it looked awful.

I then debadged the front (which unfortunately left a slightly different colour paint, oops)

And then relocated the number plate with a cheapo relocator off of eBay

Looking good!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Next was the mudflaps, they have to come off!

Unfortunately they left that scuff that everyone gets on one side
(Luckily only one side!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got some coloured HT leads fitted and new Bosch spark plugs to go with it!

Going to have to clean up that rocker cover soon too

Also got my HIDs in the post today too, I mounted the ballasts each side of the engine bay, was a pain having to run power from the battery though and quite fiddly placing everything so that it doesn't get caught in the pop-up light mechanism but got there in the end, and it will do for the moment, heres a picture of the bay

And then heres a snap of the HIDs on, sorted out the headlight adjustment too which isn't shown in the picture, for anyone interested the HIDs are 6000k
(Picture doesn't do justice... They look much better in the flesh!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you lose the charcoal canister you'll have a bit more space for 1 of the ballasts atleast. HID's look good though
Just did a quick Google on this as never heard of this mod before but will definitely be doing this at some point to clean up the bay, cheers for the heads up!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Next thing I did was get my headunit out of my old car (Vauxhall Vectra) Its a nice double din Kenwood one, the fit isnt perfect so I will have to make something up so it fits in nicely

Heres a picture of my Veccy if anyone was interested

While we are in the interior I hooked up a lazy eye kit I got off of eBay

And I mounted it on the side of the center console with some sticky pads

Sleepy 5! <3

Seem to have killed a moth in a rather strange place

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've got one of those massive number plate plinths too, might have a go at moving it as yours looks good!
Yep, big improvement, first thing I did!
show us yours when you've done it.

Right, the headlight surround on the car when I got them had been handpainted with a paint brush which makes the finish look awful (see above picture with the moth) and the worse thing is they didn't even take them off of the car to do it so the headlight lid (blue bit) has got little bits of black paint on the edge...

Ah well, so I took the surrounds off and gave them a good sanding, and then primed them, left them over night, sanded again and then sprayed them black, looks much nicer!

And then on the car

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So my gasket seal had a slight leak and I decided to change the gasket seal and then clean up the rocker cover at the same time.

Took a wire brush drill attachment to the rocker cover to get 20 years of pure dirt and scum off of the cover, took some time to get it all off but in the end it paid off, and ended up with a cover looking like this.

Quite happy so put the new seal on carefully then torqued it up. I think it looks quite nice with the blue leads!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Love the color. Great effect on the valve cover.
Always wanted to do something with mine, paint/brush it but being too lazy.
Cheers bud, I'm happy with it

You should, it makes the bay look so much nicer!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Little preview on what I've been working on lately, stay tuned!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts