Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well seeing I've been on here a while now figured I best start a project blog for my car. Its a 1991 Mk1 Eunos Roadster 1.6i automatic in mariner blue. I brought it back in august for what I considered to be fairly cheap with no MOT expecting to have to spend a little to get it through. Suprisingly it sailed through the MOT with no advisories.

This is what it looked like when I got it home

First thing to be changed was the sidelights, I had some blue bulbs from a car I had in the past sat in the garage so fitted those. I then upgraded the ageing wiperblades to flatblades, i must say Ive been quite impressed with these

I did for a short while have tinted lights but decided I didnt like them so put standard rears back on.

I put my trusty Sony xplod headunit in along with new JVC speakers all round

I then got rid of the standard bonnet stay and replaced it with a set of gas bonnet struts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I then got my lazy eye kit fitted

Next up was the wheels, I picked up a set of Dotz ultralite street racing 5 spoke 17's fairly cheap with good tyres

Next I decided to brighten the interior so sprayed some of the interior parts (since reading the 'flocking' thread I will be getting all the painted parts redone in flock with a couple of custom bits thrown in)

I then got hold of a front strut brace, self adhesive front plate, an a mesh grille

Upgraded the exhaust after the backbox fell off, so went for a stainless steel catback system with 3.5" tip and a decat pipe

Had been looking for a spoiler for it since I brought the car but wasn't overkeen on the aftermarket ones available so managed to source an OEm bootlid/spoiler and had them painted to match the car

ust recently I have changed the original wooden wheel for a momo wheel

And had it lowered 40mm on rokkor springs (when i've got a bit more spare cash I will be putting it on coilovers)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive also just swapped my rollbar pictured above for a stylebar so got that fitted

And upgraded my headlights from the original sealbeam units to a set of hella units

·
Registered
457 Posts
Looks very nice does that bud, exhaust looks sweet, and those 40mm springs have certainly improved the looks alot! Ya certainly making good progress bud, whats next on the list?

Have you got a link to those bonnet struts, been after a set for ages but can't seem to find any mx specific ones
They're one of the best mods i've got on my civic!

Mike

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks yeah it has come along quite nicely so far.

Link to the struts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-MX5-1989-1998-GAS-BONNET-HOOD-DAMPER-LIFT-KIT-/290499288164?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a31b5c64#ht_2809wt_1270

As to what else is planned:

garage vary front lip
poss different rear bumper or oem lip
side skirts
plasma dials
coilovers
bigger brakes
flock all painted interior parts and cam cover
induction kit
uprated ht leads
seats
manual conversion at some point

either a full resptay in mariner blue or two tone it (not sure what I'd prefer but wont be for a while yet)

·
Regularly Nutz
1,085 Posts
made a lot of progress like the gas bonnet struts, and the headlights. just not a fan of the larger 17s prefer the 14/15 look and the original roll bar remember seeing that for sale but the new one goes better with the look your going for i think everything so far works well together

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well got a couple more bits done now. Pipercross induction kit with heatshield fitted (will get some pics later).

Ive also relocated the fog light so rather than sitting under the bumper it now sits

Also had a custom vented headlight cover made for me, got around to putting some carbon wrap on it last night, will get some pics of it on the car once Ive done the other cover too

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
You've certainly made a start getting lots of little bits done to the car.

Its coming along nicely. Cant say I am a fan of the blue interior parts, bit too much of it for my liking, or the wheels. Might look better lower though.

Still got the roll bar?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Wheels maybe going soon, for a set of 15" deep dish rims (will have another thread up soon about the 15's), i only picked the 17's up as they were cheap and had good rubber on them.

Cant say I've had problems with the auto, but havent driven a manual 5 so can't compare them.

Anyway an update:

The following came from a car that was being broken, and from what I can tell/have been told this was only done and put in the car around 6 months or so ago....
My interior now looks like this:

·
Sideways is t'only way!
2,219 Posts
Looks good, I personally think that the centre console area should be black still... just a little too much blue for my liking.

Apart from that looking good, doorcards look neat

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
looking good there colin, what do you think of the pipercross induction kit?, also where did you get your exhaust from?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers sam, exhaust was an ebay job, came from the states (arrived within three days of making payment too). Pipercross seems to have made throttle responce slightly better and has given it an even deeper note to the sound. Cant say its made much of a difference to overall power though, maybe 1 or 2bhp.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Cheers sam, exhaust was an ebay job, came from the states (arrived within three days of making payment too). Pipercross seems to have made throttle responce slightly better and has given it an even deeper note to the sound. Cant say its made much of a difference to overall power though, maybe 1 or 2bhp.
Looking good chap

Where did you get the flatblade wipers from?

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
deep dish 15's will look good

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Right then, just a few up to date pics to be put up:

Should hopefully have a couple more changes over the next week or two, some more noticable than others.

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
looking very good pal, really like the gv lip.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts