Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately my much loved AutoExe exhuast has bitten the dust
(why the hell would you make an exhaust mostly out of Stainless but not completely? the back of the can was/is mild steel which unsurprisingly rotted through..

Anyway after being utter fed up of fannying about with 2nd had exhausts which last me 8 months and then died I decided to go for new. 5Parts single fitted the bill as it's cheap, fully stainless and has a 5 year guarantee.

Ordered thurs, postage was sub a tenner and it arrived on Friday.

1st impressions are wow that's shiney!

2nd impressions are despite the cost it's really well made and pretty thick metal, also after comparing to my old AutoExe the ID of the exhaust is a fair bit larger, so I may gain a horse or two, (or maybe not
), so very happy so far.

Was an utter pleasure to fit, I'll be buying new more often from now on

Once fitted, happy days, not more booming, it's pretty quiet on the cruise but has a proper rasp to it and burbles nicely at idle. Much to my surprise it pops like a goodun on the overrun.

Only downer really is the tailpipe is a bit understated, I quite liked the AutoExe's 4" slash cut, really filled the cutout, but still it gets ***** from me, very very impressed

Crappy on car pics

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I have this one as well, they are good value. The only problem I had was when it got very hot it fouled slightly on the rear right tie down bracket, I thought my diff had gone!!
Removed the bracket - no mre problems.....

Barry

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
You can't re-pack it either

Looks good though - will be what I get next when my OEM one falls off.

Pat...

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I had one of these, and was very happy with it. it's pretty loud and raspy but it's a proper sports car noise, not like the horrible Japanese ones which just drone at massive decibels.

My only complaint with mine was that, with the 5parts decat pipe fitted, it would knock against the rear subframe when turning hard right.

·
Registered
765 Posts
It seems that everyone who has these exhausts is really pleased.

I also have the single exit version, and I've also just fitted the matching MX5parts silenced decat. It sounds superb, and is such good value - they are really well made, good quality stainless, and exactly the right shape.

Really cant bebeat for value.

Next time your at a show or a big MX5 meet have a look and see just how many cars are running these exhausts - loads. Popular for a reason!

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
It's a bit of a no-brainer really. Unless you wanted something like a Larini, I can't see that there's a better exhaust out there in terms of value for money. The quality is great, the fit is perfect, they sound spot on, and they're cheap and will be delivered the next day. It's like the perfect product.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I suppose it's prety loud when you're on the throttle, but that's only once you're up to about 4,000rpm or so. Just bumbling around it's pretty deep and quiet. On my 1.8 it had a great burble to it at low RPM as well, and would pop slightly on the overrun. Hoping to get one for my 1.6 soon.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
seems there are a lot of people like me waiting for it to go on special offer again

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
It probably has two tubes inside and the air expands in the chamber and then get's forced out the other tube, possible even a baffle in there.

Not as good as a straight through (as per your old one) for flow and scavenging effect either.

Wait till it dies and then we'll disect it for the experience and see if we can do anything.

Pat...

·
Super Moderator
10,057 Posts
It's only the tailpipe that's sleeved. You can see in the pictures where the sleeve is welded on.
if this is wrt pat's post, it's that the inlet and outlet pipes are offset in the can. nothing to do with the tailpipe.

don't chuck your auto exe richy. i might be buying myself a TIG set come summer. would be a good project to knock it back together.
tom

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.