Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda mx5 mk1 euonos 1994
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Just wondering I have a mk1 mx5 eunos Japanese import and it’s a automatic which I believe is rare. The gearbox seems very sluggish when pulling away is that normal as it’s a old style gearbox compared to a new modern one ???

·
layabout
2,676 Posts
I wouldn't have thought the autobox was rare but they're usually in good condition as commonly kept as second cars so garaged & lower millage (km-age?) than manual ;)

also, the autobox might benefit from a service (fresh oil & cleaned filter) and theres a vacuum module on it that can fail - worth investigating?

also, the autobox is supposedly strong...

as to sluggish, the 1.6L auto engines were detuned to ~90hp whereas all Eunos 1.6L manual & the earlier UK engines (pre 1.8L engine release in UK models) were 115hp..
a good engine service & making sure the old exhaust is not blocked can also release a few hp;)

Rich.

·
Registered
Mazda mx5 mk1 euonos 1994
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I wouldn't have thought the autobox was rare but they're usually in good condition as commonly kept as second cars so garaged & lower millage (km-age?) than manual ;)

also, the autobox might benefit from a service (fresh oil & cleaned filter) and theres a vacuum module on it that can fail - worth investigating?

also, the autobox is supposedly strong...

as to sluggish, the 1.6L auto engines were detuned to ~90hp whereas all Eunos 1.6L manual & the earlier UK engines (pre 1.8L engine release in UK models) were 115hp..
a good engine service & making sure the old exhaust is not blocked can also release a few hp;)

Rich.
Brilliant mate. When you say filter in the gearbox what do you mean by that ???

1 - 8 of 8 Posts