Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Advice required, my mk1 starts but won't run and just dies, so far have checked out the pump which is giving good pressure, changed the fuel filter, flushed the lines, changed out the pump relay under the dash. None of this seems to make any difference, any ideas guys, I must be missing something

Regards
Big G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked for faultcodes?

also, what car / engine?

^^ as the 1.6 has a fuelpump 'deadman' in the airflow meter & if this is disconnected the engine will die after it's used thefuel in the lines...

Rich.
Cheers Rich,
It is the Mk1 1.6L eunos engine, normally it runs really good as the engine has been rebuilt, I shall get this checked out. Sounds like a good shout as that is exactly what happens, I have changed out the standard air filter but that was ages ago, its a recent problem so I may have accidentally disconnected it as I have been prepping the engine bay for a sale. Its currently in the local garage getting an mot so will have a chat with him on Monday morning
Regards
Big G

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The VIN No is NA6CE-119108. the 93 on the V5 probably relates to the import date

Is there a relay in that top left fuse box next to the brake fluid which may need changing, i have changed the one under the steering column

·
layabout
2,352 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers Rich,
Actually that makes sense as when the original engine died, aka the crank / pulley getting all chewed up, it was a short nose crank which was usually on the earlier models. My replacement short engine now has a long nose crank.
Will check out the relays and the flow meter for sure, thanks for all your info
Big G

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Rich,
The latest on my engine fiasco, firstly the guy at the garage did all of the above to get it to start, they then got it started but it was making a hell of a noise. On closer inspection it sounds like the engine is goosed as the crankshaft/big ends are knocking, this is a disaster as it was a recon engine swop, my mechanic says it's definately that so he suspects oil starvation or similar, although the oil pressure always showed 1-1.5bar.
Needless the say the engine supplier is no longer in business and disappeared of the face of the earth so that is me snookered for now. Car project now for sale and open to offers as they say
Big G

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you actually listened to this ‘goosed’ engine? Given the likely cost I‘d want to hear it myself. Should be able to pick up a good used engine for 2-300 qui, but the labour cost will be more than that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts