Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Quantity Surveyor
1,931 Posts
done this to mine, but just adjusted the original air feed from the box, with a aftermarket panel filter

Not the same as the one you buy, but same idea

·
Quantity Surveyor
1,931 Posts
bit better i guess, didnt really notice much difference in either power or noise really

If you want noise, just get a cheap cone filter, i think they are louder

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
If rain is a concern due to drilling a little lower than you might of liked, then you could always add a bit of an elbow just to kick it back up again once under the scuttle.

Its an airbox from the 80s. I doubt there was much in the way of resonance calculations. We got the helmholtz though, so one can't be sure. I have never seen one to know how trick it is inside. I bet a standard size filter might be bigger than a cone though, which is a result in nearly every case

·
Registered
414 Posts
Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter Cone Filter

Seriously, if you want it for the noise, don't be cutting holes in your firewall.
You won't gain anything by doing so, and it requires more care and feeding.

The standard Air Box, if I recall, is baffled. I just did the retro-conversion FROM a Cone Filter; the Airbox is significantly quieter. It won't matter where you run the outlet. It'll be quieter.

So if you want NOIZ, run a cone. But save the old airbox; when you're through with having people laugh at you for making your car worse, you might want to put it back on...

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
I would say if you do go for one through the firewall, leaves are more likely to be an issue than rain. Worth putting some kind of gauze over the intake.
There'll be no issue with rain whatsoever if you're using the standard airbox.

Air flows from the bottom of the airbox, up through the filter and then through the MAF etc, there would have to be one hell of a lot of rain to fill the bottom half of the airbox up enough that the engine could suck enough water into the engine to cause damage.

(would be surprised how much water an engine can 'drink' before it'll die - I've been known to de-coke an engine by feeding it water through a vac pipe. Works a treat).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.