Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm urgently in need of help.

I bought an Eunos 1994 import 1.8 MX5 and used the car to create an MEV Exocet. Having got the kit car ready I took it for the IVA test, unfortunately it failed on emissions as they couldn't test the car as a 1994, instead they tested it as new.

The reason for this is that the engine number on the V5 didn't match the actual engine number and they wouldn't believe it was a 1994. This was back in September, I got the log book updated as the tester advised, but when I phoned to confirm this was all they needed they wouldn't accept it. The engine number is BP826767 and since I have spent a lot of time looking for proof of age, I've;

• called Mazda and asked for proof of manufacture - no joy, I'm still waiting for a response despite chasing (I assume as I wasn't spending money they won't help, however I would have paid!)
  • called several MX5 part suppliers and garages asking for engine support but despite their helpful nature the the best I got was a VIN explanation as they said the engine number doesn't have a breakdown like a VIN.
  • trawled the internet looking for some sort of document
  • called a Mazda dealer near me and they gave the best evidence so far

"I have been looking at the Engine part number that starts ''BP'' this was in production to 1993-1994 Mazda Mx-5 and the chassis Number provided NA8C-110644 is a Mazda Eunos 1.8 litre (Japanese import).
Please see below diagram we have on our parts system. Part number starts ''BP'' was standard engine on Mazda Mx-5 1.8 litre. This is the only literature I have I hope this can be of some help to you"

I sent his to the IVA tester in Leighton Buzzard asking if this was ok to test it as a 1994 and got this response:

In theory yes, however we do need the proof of date range for manufacture in writing, it does not appear on the screen print within the e-mail thread below. Also it needs to be clear that the info is from Mazda directly and not just a local dealer/franchise. This can be in the form of any published source where we can be confident that the details contained within come from Mazda, eg. workshop manual where a manufacture date range exists. I hope this is useful

No it blooming well wasn't! I'm totally stuck now and have no idea what to do next other than keeping chasing Mazda :wacko: . The worst thing is, many people who have done the same thing have never had this questioned, oh and the guy who tested the car thought it looked like a 1974! What an expert!

Can any of you kind knowledgeable people help out? I'm desperate to get it on the road :driving:

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Assuming written published proof that the engine in question was only in production from 94-98 isn't good enough either? Sounds very strange and more than a little frustrating. You think he's genuine or just being a dick?

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Do you not have registration number or v5 for original donor car ,might help??The engine number would be on the v5.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It feel likes the latter, I've passed so much onto the guy. He said to me that I need to prove the engine isn't new as for all he knows that engine could be out of a 2005 car, but his colleague thought it was 1974! Stuart Mills at MEV has given me the number of someone higher in the IVA, so I'm going to try him on Monday.

Yes I have the original V5 and I've updated it with the new engine number, so if the DVLA accepted the change, why won't the IVA?!

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
Often it's not if imported and it sounds like the issue is that the No. on the V5 doesn't match the No. on the engine. Engine swapped dvla not informed (you're not obliged to, I've certainly never bothered).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sure that is what happened. To be fair I have swapped engines over several times on different cars and I've never updated the V5. Mazda's central department previously said they would send the request to Japan as it was a Eunos, the point I kept making was that just because the car was an import doesn't mean the replacement engine was.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Not sure if this helps but assuming the engine numbers are sequential my engine number is BP362457 My car is one of the first Mk2's registered in October 98 If your engine number is BP826767, it must be a lot younger.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a conversation with AutoLink on the numbers and found something interesting it seems the higher numbers were used on the older vehicles. This was based on a few different engine codes over a number of years. Strange as you would think the first was 1.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,563 Posts
My replacement engine, which I'm told was from a UK 1996 car, is BP919155, so yours is younger than that.

The person you need to speak to at Mazda is the "Homologations Manager", but be aware they do charge an admin fee for looking stuff up for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My replacement engine, which I'm told was from a UK 1996 car, is BP919155, so yours is younger than that.

The person you need to speak to at Mazda is the "Homologations Manager", but be aware they do charge an admin fee for looking stuff up for you.
Great, I'll give it another go. I believe it was the Homologations department I spoke to previously, but I'll try them again and pester for the manager. I'm more than happy to pay, I'm desperate to get it on the road. Thanks again, I'll report back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hooray!! I've just got back from a weekend away to find a letter on my door mat from Mazda. It confirms the engine was manufactured on the 12th March 1994. It has taken months but at last...... IVA retest here I come! :driving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts