Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay so this might be a stupid question… so i have recently rebuilt a nb with body shooting all under neath it, fitted the engine n all and its up on jack stands! will i still be gettin a good earth if up on jack stands with the stands against the body shoots?

Asking as i cant get the engine started and its the only thing i cud think of with all the paint and body protection…

·
Registered
397 Posts
As long as you have a good earth strap from battery to body of car. All other earth straps from engine/gearbox to body of car have to be satisfactory, (cleaned of dirt and rust). All earth stud connections with threaded bolt, and stud welded to car body are cleaned of dirt and rust. In other words you need a decent earth return for all circuits.

Does not matter whether on stands or not, or wheels on or not, the earth return is dependant on the cars metal body. Any bad earths you will not get a circuit.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As long as you have a good earth strap from battery to body of car. All other earth straps from engine/gearbox to body of car have to be satisfactory, (cleaned of dirt and rust). All earth stud connections with threaded bolt, and stud welded to car body are cleaned of dirt and rust. In other words you need a decent earth return for all circuits.

Does not matter whether on stands or not, or wheels on or not, the earth return is dependant on the cars metal body. Any bad earths you will not get a circuit.
Thanks for the advise colin!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts