Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My MX5 2010 NC Hard top convertible 2.0 has had its first MOT advisory for rust which is on the underside of the car. I have attached some photo which provide the best summary I have of the rust which is at the worst at the rear.

There seem to be a shedload of Companies out there charging for between £500 and £1200 for in the main professional application of Dimitrol. I havent looked at alternative products such as Waxoyl or Bilt Hamber

I would be very grateful for any forum expertise from users who have applied this product themselves to an NC and also thoughts on the effectiveness of Dimitrol and other products such as Waxoyl or Bilt Hamber on the NC.

I think if I apply it myself it leans me to taking a lot of care and time on the prep and if it goes wrong I only have myself to blame!

Many thanks

Automotive design Wood Automotive exterior Engineering Automotive tire
Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Bumper Art
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would do it yourself. The main issue with rust is internal sills. Check your drain holes are clear. Your photos show a little surface problem elsewhere. Buy a Dimitrol Rust Convertor, then apply one of their underbody seals.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Many thanks Richy, I have heard that Dinitrol is a good product but the prep for it seems substantial whereas the prep for Waxoyl seems to be a bit less as apparently Waxoyl has an anti rust chemical in the Waxoyl itself. Have you had experience of both products?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Many thanks Richy, I have heard that Dinitrol is a good product but the prep for it seems substantial whereas the prep for Waxoyl seems to be a bit less as apparently Waxoyl has an anti rust chemical in the Waxoyl itself. Have you had experience of both products?
I don’t have any experience of Waxoyl. I do think it’s better to treat the Rust first with wire brush prep, simple clean/wash and then apply Rust convertor and then afterwards apply a protective layer. I recommend Dimitrol’s underseal (weather black or brown colour) and their cavity treatment is superb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts