Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi every one, my name is Trevor, and I am having BIG problems purging my coolant system or should I say the garage is, we have done just about everything, and still there is air in the system, The problem started when the radiator leaked, so I decided to give old girl a treat (20years old) it was due a timing belt at 95000, so I got a new mazda radiator, new mazda water pump, new mazda timing kit, and new thermostat the job lot Only mazda parts, then 3 days later it over heated and the head gasket went, so strip down again more mazda parts, we found that the thermostat was not opening, each time we re built we THOUGHT we had purged it but again to day my first run, it boiled over again after 26 miles it still as air in the system, I have now orded a purge kit, to see if that works, I would love to hear from any one with other thinking, the garage is at a loss, real need help, thank you Trevor

Attachments

·
Banish a little rust a day people
4,913 Posts
Hmmm, it could be the headgasket is not right and that's how air is getting into the system. Purging the rad isnt too hard, get the front in the air, rad cap off, follow the book process of reving the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that, But its a new Mazda gasket and new head bolts, we have had it up in the air so many time now to many to count, my arm is so stiff with squeezing the hoses, this new radiator purge kit has just arrived, so be using that tomorrow its a vacuum purge kit, I will let you all know if it works, thanks for sending your thoughts Trevor
WP_20210602_09_02_47_Pro_LI.jpg

·
4,913 Posts
Thanks for that, But its a new Mazda gasket and new head bolts, we have had it up in the air so many time now to many to count, my arm is so stiff with squeezing the hoses, this new radiator purge kit has just arrived, so be using that tomorrow its a vacuum purge kit, I will let you all know if it works, thanks for sending your thoughts Trevor View attachment 59052

Doesnt matter what gasket is in it if the block isnt level though is my point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are yes I understand now, I have to just keep my fingers crossed, Will not know what to do if thats the case, All the mazda parts I have put into it and the garage labour, is much more than the value of the car,, the car is much to nice to scrap , and with a second hand engine, who knows what you are buying. Thanks again for your thoughts, Trevor

·
4,913 Posts
If a garage did the work and it is still the head I'd take it back and damn well have a go.

Engines arent that much and some breakers sell them with a warranty. Good luck, hopefully it's just an air lock.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Shadowraven Thanks for your thoughts, The garage is great been with them 30 + years, the head was sent to a good company, the gaskets were and all my Mazda parts came from MX5 parts, every one has been great, it is the first time my garage has taken a mx5 down to the block, and I will ask tomorrow if they check the block, I have been told by so many that MX5 can be a pain to purge, and I have spoked to Brian at MX5 parts and others + my Haynes manual + you Tube, and tried each way different, if it is air, its got a good hiding place I am just hoping this vacuum purge kit does the job, before we start we are going to flush the radiator, the block, and the heater system, then go for the vacuum kit, and its really is fingers crossed, its been going on for 2 weeks now, the garage gives me there car to use, they only charged for the labour on the 2 builds, all other times with the problem they do not charge me, tomorrow they will not charge me only for coolant, and the fact they are not open on Saturdays and the owner is the one doing the car, how can I complain, would like to thank you and all for your thoughts, I will keep you all up to date, Trevor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi guitaristanime, Just seen your post about the head gasket, I do not know, I ordered a gasket set from MX5 parts for mk 2.5 1.8 vvt engine, and as far as I know thats what they sent. thanks again Trevor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi every one, Its all sorted after 2 weeks, of purging £40 worth coolant, and all the time and stress. A £21 ebay vacuum kit made in china did the job, took for a few runs and it seems ok, fingers crossed, really easy to use and fast, came with out instructions but I watched so many you tube vids, all was from the usa and using named brands, ie snap on ect, but found one vid with the same looking kit but again a braded one, none with a cheap Chinese one, I would like to thank everyone for there thoughts Trevor:p(y)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts