Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just a quick question about MPG, and if I'm any good at Maths.

I bought my 1.6 MX5 to use as a daily run around, as the other cars I own are way too thirsty to use everyday.

Now, when I bought the car I put £40 in the tank as it was completely empty. I've since ran it until it was virtually empty (didn't have the cash to fill it again) and this is what I found -

217 Miles driven (quite hard miles
) only 4 miles each day to and from work, all town driving.

Fuel is £1.31 a litre

£40 of fuel = 30.53 litres
30.53 divided by 4.54 = 6.72 Gallons
217 Miles divided by 6.72 gallons = 32.3MPG

This seems a lot. Its standard apart from a slightly better exhaust and a K&N.

Is this good, average or bad....what's peoples thoughts?

Cheers,

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yep, about average.

They aren't as fuel efficient as you might think.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sorry but you're never going to get it accurate doing it that way mate.

Neck the tank, reset odometer and then drive about for a bit, doesn't matter how much petrol you use but the greater the amount of miles driven the more representative your reading will be. Neck the tank again noting miles and litres used then work out your mpg as above. Do this for a few tanks to get a good average reading.

Guessing fuel consumption using readings from the petrol gauge will give you inaccurate results.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, i thought it was really good.
I'm happy with that. If anything, i thought it was a bit high.

The other cars i have one is 400BHP and does around 20MPG, the other is 300BHP and can do single figures!

·
Registered
341 Posts
My 325i E46 does 33mpg average according to the trip meter I've had going for the last 3 months

On track... don't even go there!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Neck the tank, reset odometer and then drive about for a bit, doesn't matter how much petrol you use but the greater the amount of miles driven the more representative your reading will be. Neck the tank again noting miles and litres used then work out your mpg as above. Do this for a few tanks to get a good average reading.

Guessing fuel consumption using readings from the petrol gauge will give you inaccurate results.
Sounds like a more accurate way to be honest...On pay day I think i'll try it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
My MPG would be loads better if I wasn't addicted to the burble that comes from the exhaust at certain revs.

·
Code Monkey
5,007 Posts
My MPG would be loads better if I wasn't addicted to the burble that comes from the exhaust at certain revs.
I keep tapping my throttle on overrun with my decated system and it pops and bangs loads

I'm sure mines drinking fuel too quickly though. But then I've gone from a 90bhp 1.6 to the 1.8 so maybe it's normal consumption!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine is a 1.6 standard apart from air filter and exhaust. I have the ecu chip that is meant to make fuel consumption better and I get easily 360 miles for £40- £45 from empty to brimmed. Compared to my celica gt4 it runs on fresh air I was lucky to get 70 miles for £20. Was quick tho lol

·
Registered
952 Posts

Indeed. Just hope the backpressure thingy isn't super sensitive and starts going 'tick' well before the tank is brimmed wasting the whole exercise - very annoying!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Mine is a 1.6 standard apart from air filter and exhaust. I have the ecu chip that is meant to make fuel consumption better and I get easily 360 miles for £40- £45 from empty to brimmed. Compared to my celica gt4 it runs on fresh air I was lucky to get 70 miles for £20. Was quick tho lol
ECU chip?Please tell me its not an ebay special job...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.