Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had my MP62 go pop once, I was quite concerned to talk to another owner on Saturday at Brands Hatch who has also had the same problem.
He commented that he was sold it as 'fit & forget' but after it seized, he took it to a local engineering company that run & maintain various track cars,
and they said it should have an oil check/change at least once a year.

They commented that it had to be taken off the car, up ended onto the nose pulley and oil put in through a filler hole on the back near the intake.

Is this correct?

Mine was just over 3yrs old when it went. His was a couple of years old.
(Both MK2.5 1.8's)

·
9 points, $20,000 and a lot of happiness.
20,813 Posts
If your SC went pop then something was wrong somewhere.

Exactly what went pop?

I've been running my daily driver/track bitch with a MP62 at around 13psi for around 5 years now, not had 1 problem.
I did strip it, replace the front bearing, oil and cush drive thing just before Christmas, but it didn't need it, the bearings were as good as new if not smoother.

·
Premium Member
19,520 Posts
They commented that it had to be taken off the car, up ended onto the nose pulley and oil put in through a filler hole on the back near the intake.
That's utter bollox.

To replace the oil yeah you have to pull the charger, but the drain and filler are on the nose section. No big deal though removing the charger takes all of 20 mins

I've had mine die, but I was flambe'ing it with a leaking manifold so hardly surprising.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
The oil is in a sealed unit.

So unless you can see it seeping out somewhere it can't be 'used'.

Obviously if it starts making a noise or something then investigate but otherwise it is fit and forget.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all the replies.

I'm a dab hand at removing and refitting mine as well, so if it needed doing, it wouldn't have been a problem.

I had also read on the SOT forum a few years ago about someone who had refilled theirs, but put to much oil in, so was just curious and wanted more than one persons view.

Mine had started making a clattering noise then seized, so was shipped back to Magnussons and they said it had lost all its oil due to a manufacturing fault, so they repaired it FOC.
(Even though it was out of warranty.)

I don't know the details about the guy's car I was talking to on Sat.

·
RSNick is NickRS backwards, wtf?
2,479 Posts
Just had mine back from Mr Fast, it had been grumbling from about 6 weeks after I'd got it(from new)but as it hadn't got worse I didn't worry. I'd run it like that for around 3 years.

It's now a lot quieter. Andy's (Mr Fast) turnaround was same day! I take the cover off about every year to have a look at the rotor tips and teflon coating as a precaution. Apparently the rear needle bearing is very tricky to replace but should be Ok for years, the main ball race is the one I had replaced.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts