Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately my NA Turbo has failed its MOT miserably, the only thing I can't get my head around was I have an external intake on the passenger wing and it's been an advisory forever, with the change of rules it's now a structural failure. Its failed as the inner wing has been modified within 30cm of top shocker suspension mounting, if I were to temporarily cover this with a plastic panel would they be able to fail it?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you take out for mot and put back in after.?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
I could but the problem is the inner wing being cored for the intake (I'll try get a picture today when I'm trying to fix the other issues). I'm wondering if I removed it for the MOT and covered it on the inside with a plastic cover or something then surely they couldn't fail it as they couldn't inspect it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So the piece removed from the inner wing is pictured was speaking to mechanic friend today and he was saying tape covering it wouldn't work as they can technically remove the tape. I'll probably manufacture a cover for it and fit it with self tapers or rivets.

Now the main issue for the MOT he didn't even check the emissions due to "thick blue smoke and an exhaust leak". Got recommended to have a look at the pipe going from the turbo to the intercooler and check for oil residue, there was the slightest trace of oil inside and the turbo needed stripped out due to a leak on the oil return from turbo to the sump but once stripped out the turbo looks mint, almost new inside, is it still possible that this is the issue?

What's the next step block the turbo oil feed and return pipes then do a compression test?

Also any tips on bolting the downpipe back up? had a nightmare trying to get to the awkward bolt on top and just can't imagine being able to get it tight enough.

Sorry I'm new to all of this, thanks.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Tire Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Rim

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Its the hotside of the turbo you really need to look at. Yes will get some carry over on cold side but only when really bad. Downpipe off. Black sooty oil mess. In my experience of turbo seals on tick over.. puff s of intermitent blue smoke.
Sparks out too. Again black n sooty if engine burning it r ather than burning in manifold.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Why they cut the suspension tower to fit a cold air feed is crazy to me.. id do away and get it welded up properly. Now ive seen that, its defo structural. Mot man doing you a favour really. You get hit there by another car/ tree etc..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Its the hotside of the turbo you really need to look at. Yes will get some carry over on cold side but only when really bad. Downpipe off. Black sooty oil mess. In my experience of turbo seals on tick over.. puff s of intermitent blue smoke.
Sparks out too. Again black n sooty if engine burning it r ather than burning in manifold.

Yeah the blue smoke is pretty consistent even when idling, changed the plugs last week and the old ones seemed quite sooty but I have no idea when they were last done. Got a compression tester on order so that looks like that'll next weekends fun.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Well,
Its either.
1 camseals
2 oil control rings
3. Turbo seals.
Comp test aint really gonna show you anything imo.
Its a leakdown test you really need.
You still got the plugs?
Piccy of em.

My car smoked like crazy when i got it. Back box was full of oil from a turbo failing.
It just smoked n smoked.
You got any play in that turbo.
Pinched the impellor nut finger n thumb. Forward n backwards and up n down. Tiny movement on both. Anything above 1mm id say gone or going.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well,
Its either.
1 camseals
2 oil control rings
3. Turbo seals.
Comp test aint really gonna show you anything imo.
Its a leakdown test you really need.
You still got the plugs?
Piccy of em.

My car smoked like crazy when i got it. Back box was full of oil from a turbo failing.
It just smoked n smoked.
You got any play in that turbo.
Pinched the impellor nut finger n thumb. Forward n backwards and up n down. Tiny movement on both. Anything above 1mm id say gone or going.

Thanks for the advice, pretty sure I chucked the old plugs but there might still be one somewhere, I'll give the turbo a proper once over checking for any play.

·
layabout
2,791 Posts
Why they cut the suspension tower to fit a cold air feed is crazy to me
because racecar?

fucknose...

that wing intake looks like a perfect rubbishbin to me & the kids around here would fill it with gravel & other shit given the chance:rolleyes:

Rich.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts