Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have put this out on another mx5 site but thought I would run this past you guys !!
Took my car in for an MOT today and it passed with flying colours

I managed to have a word with the guy who actually did my mot.. I was just chatting about looking to get underneath blasted and then waxoyl to protect....when...he hit me with a bombshell he continued to tell me that my offside sill is really bad ( of which I knew and was planning on replacing the rear wing) The other wing has been replaced and if I was to do any work like blasting it would probably just shoot through as its badly rusted underneath... next years mot could be a different story he tells me as it may be very costly to repair...I am devistated as the car on the outside is perfect ..now he is telling me the floor could fall out.

I really would like to get another opinion but not sure if its worth it!! its a 1998 mark11

·
Offset stripes FTW!!!11
3,672 Posts
wow that was incredibly quick
The problem is who do you trust to give you the correct opinion...
Find your local council mot tester. They are impartial as they generally don't carry out any work to the cars - they just test them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had the car checked out yesterday up on a ramp...and it is rock solid
had the mechanic check every nook and cranny with a hammer and a screwdriver
there is a little surface rust but easily cleaned up..so I am now a happy bunny ...I just dont understand why the garage would tell me it was knackered and advise me to get rid
anyway I am happy now and will get back to spending some money on my baby

·
Tinkering twat with cookin tongs
353 Posts
Got the bleeder on a ramp and have a look yourself mate, it would be fairly obvious to the untrained eye if the cill and floor was that bad, but as said before, look for a second opinion as it shouldn't have passed an MOT if it's that bad

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Have a good prod at the underside with a screwdriver, if it goes through you've got problem's if not get it blasted and coated.

·
Tinkering twat with cookin tongs
353 Posts
Tangoman and jag-D

If you had read my post you would have seen I have already done that and things are fine ...but thanx for the advice;)
Sorry dude

Given that you've done the bits and it looks fine, I wouldn't worry too much about it and perhaps take it to a different station next year?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.