Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right im in a dilema.

I keep looking and readin up on forced induction. To be honest its in my brain and I cant get it out! Now im thinking before I do it I should wait or my MOT to happen and see if the car is generally ok and not going to be a money pit. I got the car late Decemeber so had it just over 3 months. When I bought the car it looked fine and I had my mate (a mechanic) check out the engine etc. I knew it needed new discs and pads all round when I got it and I got it serviced, did the cambelt and water pump done as it had little history. I have now replaced the suspension due them becoming rusty and unsafe (upon advice), and the diff. Now a big crack in the side of my car has come and painter dave said it was filler which has cracked. This I was shocked about as I didnt know it had been filled up. So it must have had some sort of incident at some point. I know it has had a front shunt of some sort due to the stress cracks in the front bumper but didnt know it was anything like this.

Note than I did pay ?22 for a RAC vehicle check and let my mate look around it (as well as the usual checks) and it showed nothing other than it was an import.

So should I wait until I have had an MOT until I go FI or just go for it and hope there are no more nasties?

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You can have an MOT any time so for the sake of the £30 to £35 pounds I'd just get that out of the way. What area do you recide..?

Edit:- Other component (don't know entirely how stringent for catted MK1's) is that unless you know what you are doing with engine management and larger injectors your chances of passing an emissions test is zero.

Can be done though, mines legit.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Just get on with it! As above if you have replacement ECU just make sure you have it tuned, but plenty of cars pass with simple fuel controlling such as AFPR's and Powercard's.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be honest I don't mind spending after I've spent if that makes sense. As long as I have a road worthy car thats all im bothered about.

Gary: I currently have a decatted 1.6 G reg (1990) which I understood was said to be legal (as far as being a standard engine, no overfulling etc was happening).
Are you meaning that unless the fueling was correct that a supercharger would make the emissions over the legal allowence? Sorry if I have misunderstood what you are saying.

I have decided to go for a pretty basic supercharger kit to learn about it more than anything (I have never driven or owned anything like this). I am in the middle of reading up on it all hense why I don't understand what Gary means about the emissions.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok I will bring it round at 10. I will leave the manifold for a little longer as I'm suppose to be sorting my dads garage out (which will take all day) but I will be round for 10. Thanks Paul.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
where abouts in sheffield r u m8, im at frecheville, think i might have seen your motor knocking about,

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Right as far as a basic SC kit goes the fuelling solution provided as standard is pretty crude. A Powercard as I had on my SC'd Mk1 basically throws fuel in to stop the car running a lean fuel fixture causing detonation and possilbe destructive engine problems. The car did overfuel a bit but they tend to on basic fuelling solutions, she did however run perfectly well apart from an initial idle/stalling problem which was sorted by a bit of careful tuning. Unless you go for something that controls fuelling a little more accurately (MS/EMB/EMU and the like) then the emissions will most probably be higher than standard.

Does that explain it a bit better? I hope so.

In answer to your original question if you get the car through an MOT at least you know it's a sound base to start from rather than find out two months down the line after spending a fortune on going FI that your beloved little red car is a problem waiting to happen under the surface. If you can't wait until your actual MOT due date then get one done now there is nothing to stop you. Some people put their cars through early MOT's if they are trying to sell it.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
In answer to your original question if you get the car through an MOT at least you know it's a sound base to start from rather than find out two months down the line after spending a fortune on going FI that your beloved little red car is a problem waiting to happen under the surface. If you can't wait until your actual MOT due date then get one done now there is nothing to stop you. Some people put their cars through early MOT's if they are trying to sell it.
This is what i'm saying. Maybe it would be worth me putting it in early just to solve any scary thoughts I have in my head. Worse case scenario chasis bent beyond belief and there is some serious chasis rust what probably wont last 6 months. What else can be a big failure on a 5? Ive replaced the brakes, suspension... What else is so costly? Im thinking rust but what in particular?

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Pretty much yes Jon.

Throws fuel in but more fuel means not so good emissions. I guess you could fit a Hi-Flow cat which would help emissions to a point but still allows the flow from the SC to pass less restricted (than a normal cat) through the cat and exhaust. You could always put a standard cat back on to pass the emissions on an MOT then take it off again after.

I'm not sure what the levels are for your car as it's a pre 92 so doesn't NEED a cat. However it still needs to pass emissions to a lower level.

·
Registered
10,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah, I think I may need to talk a bit more to Paul. I don't want to ruin the car as it will cost me more in the long run. I love it to be honest I just have a need for speed :S

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
You couldn't find a better resource than paul, he's on your doorstep and will fill in all the gaps and relinquish any dismay you may have at this stage.

If your going down the FI route and need a hand on the management side I'll assist where I can. I get down to pauls when ever i can. Everyone who has comtemplated the steps you wish to take has been in the same shoes.

Cheers Gary

1 - 20 of 30 Posts