Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys sorry to start a thread but was wondering if someone could comment on a noise I'm not sure about. I've recently purchased a used mk3.5 2.0 mx-5 and I've noticed something that doesn't sound right to me.

I made a video to highlight the noise, now it's not so much the "ticking" sound but the other background almost scraping like sound, is that normal?

The noise seems to have gotten worse which is why I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0b_...ature=youtu.be

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Sound quality is not great , and a diagnosis would be easier if the rpm and load on the engine we're varied.
However , I'm afraid it sounds an awful lot like a terminal big end bearing failure .
It will have damaged the engine severely.
Probably caused by low oil levels in the sump .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I appreciate that trying to diagnose something from a mobile phone recorded video being streamed on youtube isn't ideal.

However Mazda where I purchased the vehicle have said there's nothing wrong, and they say they can't hear anything. It's as clear as day to me.

I'm really stressed as you can probably imagine as I spent what for me was a lot of money on the car and only 2 weeks after purchase I'm being pretty much fucked over.

Anyway can I ask what sypmtoms would be if it is terminal big end bearing failure, when driving is there anything obvious? For reference the car is 3 years old and according to mazda digital service history was given an oil change annually.

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
Annually says it all.
Too many rely on a yearly service & never check their fluid levels inbetween.
These cars like the oil on the max or slightly over, let it drop, you will be looking at death knock, game over.
What's the sound like when you raise the revs yo say 3 to 4k???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Annually says it all.
Too many rely on a yearly service & never check their fluid levels inbetween.
These cars like the oil on the max or slightly over, let it drop, you will be looking at death knock, game over.
What's the sound like when you raise the revs yo say 3 to 4k???
I agree that the majority of owners rarely bother to do checks, and often get things serviced as late as possible.

I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum and on cars I've owned previously have gotten an oil change ever 3000 miles and change all fluids very often.

At 3-4000rpm I can't hear anything obvious if I'm honest.

If there's any relevance the car has only done 20k

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
If they can't hear that then that's worrying!!!

It's a pity your mile away from sheffield otherwise I could help.....

We can diagnose/repair or if needed purchase your car, feel free to call me.

Paul

·
Registered
3,925 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
If they can't hear that then that's worrying!!!

It's a pity your mile away from sheffield otherwise I could help.....

We can diagnose/repair or if needed purchase your car, feel free to call me.

Paul
If you were local I'd have been with you already :) What are your thoughts based on the video Paul?

My issue now though is that I bought the car from a Mazda main dealer and I don't like how I'm being fobbed off. It was an approved mazda used car so apparently went through all the checks, but I can just imagine how the checks went...Something along the lines of top up oil and screenwash.

I really need to get it to someone for a diagnosis that I can at least use as ammunition, because as it stands me talking to the service advisor and trying to explain that it isn't normal I'm just being told that the technicians have said everything is ok.

If I'm totally honest though while I thought something wasn't right I honestly wasn't expecting a possibility of something terminal that's been mentioned so far :(

·
Registered
5,756 Posts
It doesn't sound good, however I would need to see the car and hear it first hand, maybe make some checks before I could give a definitive answer.

Feel free to call me tomorrow for a chat if you wish......

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
What's the oil level on the dip stick showing ?
I really hope I'm wrong .

Are you suggesting the noise is only present at idle , and disappears at higher rpm ?
Is it intermittent , as I can't understand how The Mazda agents have failed to hear it .
As you say "it's as clear as night and day" .

I'm going to listen to it again now , real loud , I might be seriously over egging this now more facts have come to light .
It might be something daft like the air con compressor eating its self .
Either way there's alot of friction , in your clip .

·
Registered
12 Posts
What's the oil level on the dip stick showing ?
I really hope I'm wrong .

Are you suggesting the noise is only present at idle , and disappears at higher rpm ?
Is it intermittent , as I can't understand how The Mazda agents have failed to hear it .
As you say "it's as clear as night and day" .

I'm going to listen to it again now , real loud , I might be seriously over egging this now more facts have come to light .
It might be something daft like the air con compressor eating its self .
Either way there's alot of friction , in your clip .
Hi stigatronix.

Yes the noise is only really apparent to me at idle. When driving along at high revs I've not noticed anything untoward.

No it's not intermittent, it makes the noise all the time at idle, whether the engine is being started cold, or been running after a long journey and warm. The technicians can hear the sound but they insist "they all do that" and "It's normal", honestly they made me out to be stupid.

If it's any use I can make another video now, I'll open the bonnet place the phone nearby and start the engine so you get an idea how it sounds from cold (just hope the neighbours don't moan lol)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ok here's a video I've just done from cold start (car was last used about 3 hours ago). Video is black as camera was facedown

Couldn't rev too loudly due to neighbours. So only managed two slight revs during video, also idle was still high and didn't settle to "normal" idle rpm. The noise doesn't seem as obvious and not sure if it's maybe due to the higher idle, the earlier video was idling at around 750rpm

Also with regards to your earlier question about oil level, I can'tr check it now as the car is parked on uneven ground, but 4 days ago the level was about max on the dipstick.

Could be in my head but when I finally turn the ignition off I seem to hear some sort of rattle (could be normal)

Anyway can anything be heard from this clip? If it was big end bearings would it sound like this from a coldish start?

·
Registered
127 Posts
I can tell you that it's not normal and they don't all do that. Mine ticks like that, but it doesn't make that weird rubbing noise in the first video. I couldn't hear it so much in the second video. I can't offer any more than that though :-(

Do they have any other MX5's there that you could get them to start up and listen to, so they can hear that actually... they don't all do that and it's not normal at all?

It's very sad, but based on my past experience I think if I had this issue my local dealer would try and pull the same trick :-(

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
The sound is not right, how far from romford are you, we are a mazda dealer and if your car was sold as an aproved used car and carrys the mazda aproved used warranty then we can carry out any repairs needed for you, however rodders is right i dont think thats big end failure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well just to update the thread. Just dropped the car off at Mazda dealer, they listened to it again and said its a belt causing the noise due to friction and its normal.

I'm so annoyed.

Sam it is an approved used car so I think I might take it to you guys at romford.

I didn't think I could take it elsewhere without getting charged though, but if I can I will.

I left car at dealer as I walked away peed off

1 - 20 of 34 Posts