Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am contemplating putting a sticker numberplate on the font of my Mk2, but not on the bonnet - below the bonnet where the Mazda badge currently sits. All the photos of the ones I've seen are of ones where it's on the bonnet, which I'm not a fan of. Anyone got any photos of one where I intend to stick mine? Do people think it looks good or not?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both very nice indeed, thanks for the photos. I was thinking of where TheDinkyToy's is and hadn't really thought of putting it where Claire's is. You've thrown me curve ball Claire - decisions, decisions.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For any of the people who have already done it, what was the paintwork like under the plinth and what did you do where (I presume) there are holes in the bodywork?

Claire - placing the sticker where you have, did you have any problems with it creasing or does it look smooth? It looks like a position where there are plenty of curves so I'd be worried about getting a smooth finish on the sticker.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
planning on a sticky this year. cars going in for some paint work, seems an ideal time to do it. i replaced our cracked plinth when we got the car, underneath ther eis obviously holes, and on ours there were scratches aswell

·
I forget who I am
2,603 Posts
Claire - placing the sticker where you have, did you have any problems with it creasing or does it look smooth? It looks like a position where there are plenty of curves so I'd be worried about getting a smooth finish on the sticker.
There are a few little creases, but you have to look close. I tried the soapy liquid sprayed on the bumper and then position the number plate trick, but it didn't quite work for me so I ended up starting at one end and working along. I was in a rush to get it done as my MOT was the following day (yes, I left it until the night before after having a whole year to do it)

I had a new bumper put on so I didn't have any holes to contend with, but there were about 4 holes from the plinth that needed sorting out at the bodyshop.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
For any of the people who have already done it, what was the paintwork like under the plinth and what did you do where (I presume) there are holes in the bodywork?
I went for gutter sealant in the screw holes, sanded down and sprayed with Halfords cans. I also had a crease in my bumper from where the screws were misaligned, which I rectified with some boiling/cold water and a spanner! Looks surprisingly good considering!

·
Daddys little soldier!
1,712 Posts
Sorry I can't answer that one. I already had the sticky plate on when I got the car. I know plenty of people who have uncovered several holes under their plinths.

I guess if you take it off and you find too much dmamge to be able to repair easily with a bit of self help you can screw it back on again and plan to have it repaired when you can get it done properly.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers for all the info. Looks like I'll have to get the plinth off and see what it's like underneath. Must admit I'm not too keen on spending too much cash if it is a mess under there.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Err i got a good response from my original post . looks like the sticky number plate subject is high up on everyone's mod list .i used the link and got one i'll be messing with it at the weekend.
oh and i bought 5m of white vinyl viper stripes.hmm head ache is due i think

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mines off to the bodyshop later this month, where it's getting the front bumper sprayed following a car park bump, so I'll be getting my plinth removed then and replacing it with a sticker.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.