Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So ive been looking into mk2 hardtops on a mk1, and have become a little stuck. Almost every thread is missing all the photos so the helpful comments are obsolete for me. But basically I'm after a simple image breakdown of what to do if possible. Also does anyone know where id be able to buy a mk1 harness connector to keep a tidy connection, even if its aftermarket but fits. and finally I've attached a photo, would anyone know what the white harness plug is for, it looks factory but I'm stumped. The car has a random switch and button on the bottom of the dash so it could be one of them. Thank you.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Auto part Automotive wheel system

· Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,626 Posts
That certainly looks like a factory-fitted plug, but it's not the 3-pin type I'm used seeing to on Mk1s. What year is the car?

The type on my '93 car has 3 wires; a pair of chunky wires for power, red and black, and a thin violet wire. When a demister is plugged in (either a hard top or glass windowed soft top) the purple wire gets linked to the black (ground) wire, and of course the red and the black get linked to the two terminals on the window element.

The purple wire runs forward to the dash, to the demister switch. Now that it's grounded at the rear shelf, that allows the switch to ground a wire coming from the coil of a power relay in the boot (under the trim panel below the boot latch). That switches on the relay and supplies power to the red wire on the rear shelf.

I was told many years ago some cars have a yellow wire instead of violet but I haven't seen one.

What wire colours do you have on that 4-pin?

· Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,626 Posts
LOL! I thought it was the rear shelf! Fixated on the plug and didn't notice the surroundings.

Demister plug if fitted (earliest cars don't have it) is on the rear shelf on the opposite side.

Mind you, the black object in the background (on the end of a loom and clipped onto a bracket) may be part of the story. Cars with electric aerials have a twin fuseholder there, one of which is for the demister. Not sure about cars without electric aerials but it wouldn't surprise me if that thing was indeed a single fuseholder for the demister.

· Super Moderator
10,143 Posts
As Martin says, this is the fuse holder that the white connector plugs into. One fuse is for the electric aerial, the other is for the heated screen.

The HRW relay plugs in behind the vertical trim carpet, inside the back panel on the nearside of the rear numberplate. It's the same as the horn relay, although the proper heated screen relay has a bracket to attach it to the stud.

To connect the screen to the car, you can buy the proper harness but if you have the mk2 version, you can unwrap the harness and crimp your own spades on easy enough. You need to bridge the top two pins in the connector behind the seats to bypass the inhibit switch for the folding soft top fitted to some models (see this thread)

The HRW switch fits in the right of the dash with the fog light switch and dash dimmer if fitted. There are white plugs and blue plugs....pull the blanks out and see what you have.

ETA - I'm not suggesting you buy all the parts new, used bits are available much more cost effectively, but MX5Parts is a useful source of images

1 - 6 of 6 Posts