Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've asked about the Mk2 Bose system speakers on here 3 times and been largely ignored, but I'm getting rather depressed about the situation so last ditch attempt

I replaced the HU because the CD player stopped working. The Bose speakers work with the current HU but only up to a certain volume because they are not compatible.

I have tried 3 different speakers, none of which have fit. The first were too small, the next ones didn't fit even though they were 8", the same as the current speakers (except they arn't because they have a plastic frame around them which makes them too big).

The last ones I've just tried were the JVC ones on offer from Mx5 Parts. I phoned up and asked if they would fit a Mk2 with Bose system, was told they would and have found out that of course they don't fit, so they're going back.

Does anyone know of any speakers that will fit in the existing CIRCULAR frame, not the OVAL one which standard sound setups use? I'm sure at least one person has replaced the ICE in a Mk2 VS in the last 11 years. Would really be appreciated

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Can I make a suggestion.

Take out the whole speaker and frame.

Trace around the frame onto a piece of MDF, cut out, cut a hole in the center to suit your 6.5" speaker of choice, repeat for other side.

Drill a couple holes where the original holes were.

Job done

I would have posted sooner but to be honest am not too clued up on the Bose Speaker sizes so didn't want to give bad information.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hummingman I'm in pretty much the same spot as you, (except when I changed the headunit I wired my Bose speakers directly into an Alpine amp and they work fine up to painful levels) but one of them has sounded rattly since I got the car so I too want to change them, but I'm not big on the 6.5" or oval routes.

I'm considering getting these and making them damned well fit one way or the other
Have you tried them?

http://shop.audioimages.co.uk/alpine-spe-20sf-8inch-2-way-component-car-audio-speaker-p-1488.html

·
Super Moderator
22,535 Posts
What SillyHill said, it's what I did cut 2 mdf rings drilled to fit the door holes and then fixed the 6.5"s with self tappers.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hummingman I'm in pretty much the same spot as you, (except when I changed the headunit I wired my Bose speakers directly into an Alpine amp and they work fine up to painful levels) but one of them has sounded rattly since I got the car so I too want to change them, but I'm not big on the 6.5" or oval routes.

I'm considering getting these and making them damned well fit one way or the other
Have you tried them?

http://shop.audioimages.co.uk/alpine-spe-20sf-8inch-2-way-component-car-audio-speaker-p-1488.html
6.5's I bought were obviously too small but this was before I took the door cards off to find the stupid circular frame. Those 8" speakers look alot like the Pioneer ones I bought - the Bose speakers ARE 8" but they dont have any plastic trim, so they fit the frame. All normal speakers have lots of plastic around the actual speaker - I guess you could get rid of the plastic and sand it down to size or something but I'm not willing to do that.

Think I'll have a go at the MDF thing tomorrow but I'm a MESS at being creative

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bosectomy involves getting rid of the stock CD player that came with the Bose sound system models i.e. the VS, RS and bypassing the amp so the HU connects to the speakers. I've done this but as I knew would happen the HU and speakers operate at different frequencies and so I either need a line level adapter or aftermarket speakers.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Are you sure about the different frequencies thing? I just thought the Bose stuff was 8ohm rather then 4ohm, which means they would be underpowered by the headunit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I don't understand why people on the interwebz are so convinced the Bose speakers won't work properly...

I replaced the Bose headunit with a Pioneer one (by wiring directly into the loom for power, aerial etc instead of using an ISO connector), ran the outputs to a new Alpine amp in the boot, and ran new speaker cables from the amp to the Bose speakers, completely bypassing the Bose amp and wiring. Really, it works a treat!

Personally, the only reason I'm looking to change the speakers now is because one of them rattles.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quick update - I bought the Alpine speakers in the link above, and fitted them this weekend. They fit perfectly in the circular holes in the doors, you simply have to drill new holes and secure them with self tapping screws.
They work just fine and sound great - although I have had to fiddle with my amp and EQ settings to get the sound right again.

But basically the short answer to the question:

"Does anyone know of any speakers that will fit in the existing CIRCULAR frame, not the OVAL one which standard sound setups use?"

...is YES. Alpine SPE-20SF components fit just fine. Hope that helps

(ps: I only used the Alpine woofers and left the crossovers and tweeters off the car as the Bose tweeters sound just fine if you wire them up right and totally bypass the rest of the Bose equipment and wiring. I suspect that as they're bigger they'll have a better range and give a more full sound than the hissing and spitting that will probably come out of the tiny Alpine tweeters)

·
Registered
9,608 Posts
if the bose tweeters are 8 ohm, then its a 3db decrease in volume. I find most simple kit benifits from this. Simply because tweeters are louder than woofers, and so do need turning down. However, the countrys knocking them out actually favour treble over warmpth so dont turn the tweeter down to match the woofer. Seeing it as a loss of sound. Only offboard crossover boxs tend to house resistors to sort it out. And the sub ?50 market is way to minimal to give you thoes.

Anyone pondering over a tweeter volume mod can easyly give it a whirl. Just shroud what you have with tissue paper. If partial shrounding gives a better sound then they want turning down. This will usually bring the midrange into focus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.