Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Hi All, I'm considering selling the MK1 and getting an 1800 MK2.5 or maybe just a MK2, but I had a few questions I was hoping people could help me with.

Engine: I know the MK2 1800 is 140bhp, but are all the 1800 MK2.5's the 146bhp VVTi engines?

Hardtop: Pretty sure I've had the answer to this before and its yes, but will my MK1 hardtop go onto a MK2 or MK2.5 without any issues?

Rust: I know the UK MK2's and MK2.5's suffer more with rust, are the common places lower suspension areas and sills or is there any other key areas to look out for?

Safety: One of the reasons of considering changing car is so I could pick my little boy up from pre-school in something a bit safer, as at the moment he doesn't come in my car! So with that in mind, does a MK2 or 2.5 have better crash protection than a MK1 as I think the MK1 doesn't have like side impact bars etc, is this the case? Also do they have front air bags and is it easy enough to disable the passenger side one safely as I know my little one can't go in the front if it has a passenger airbag.

MK2.5 Front End: If I did go for a MK2 instead of a 2.5, can you swap the front end over without massive amounts of hassle?

Roll Bar: Would the roll/stlye bar(whatever you want to say it is) fit a MK2 or 2.5?

Interior: Does the interior differ much between a MK2 and 2.5 and do all the 2.5's have leather seats as I've never been fussed on leather interiors!

Anything else I should be aware of if buying either a MK2 or 2.5? I'd be planning on doing ITB's on whatever I go for, so I know I'd need to look into VVTuner if I MS the 2.5 and want to keep the VVTi, but I'll ask questions about MS'ing a MK2 or 2.5 seperately once I've got answers to everything else!

Oooh that leads to one other question actually...
Inlet Mani: Does a MK2 inlet manifold fit a MK2.5?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
Hi All, I'm considering selling the MK1 and getting an 1800 MK2.5 or maybe just a MK2, but I had a few questions I was hoping people could help me with.

Engine: I know the MK2 1800 is 140bhp, but are all the 1800 MK2.5's the 146bhp VVTi engines?
Yes, though I've not seen 1 stock MK2.5 make 146...

Hardtop: Pretty sure I've had the answer to this before and its yes, but will my MK1 hardtop go onto a MK2 or MK2.5 without any issues?
Yes

Rust: I know the UK MK2's and MK2.5's suffer more with rust, are the common places lower suspension areas and sills or is there any other key areas to look out for?
The front crossmembers in the engine bay, they rust inside out.

Safety: One of the reasons of considering changing car is so I can start picking my little boy up from pre-school in something a bit safer. So with that in mind, does a MK2 or 2.5 have better crash protection than a MK1 as I think the MK1 doesn't have like side impact bars etc, is this the case? Also do they have front air bags and is it easy enough to disable the passenger side one safely as I know my little one can't go in the front if it has a passenger airbag.
Only some can disable the passenger airbag, pretty sure I can't on mine unforutnately. You're correct on the side impact strengthening on the doors.

MK2.5 Front End: If I did go for a MK2 instead of a 2.5, can you swap the front end over without massive amounts of hassle?
Bumper and lights, more costly than anything.

Roll Bar: Would the roll/stlye bar(whatever you want to say it is) fit a MK2 or 2.5?
Yes

Interior: Does the interior differ much between a MK2 and 2.5 and do all the 2.5's have leather seats as I've never been fussed on leather interiors!
Better centre console and no mine has cloth seats!

Anything else I should be aware of if buying either a MK2 or 2.5? I'd be planning on doing ITB's on whatever I go for, so I know I'd need to look into VVTuner if I MS the 2.5 and want to keep the VVTi, but I'll ask questions about MS'ing a MK2 or 2.5 seperately once I've got answers to everything else!
Or get a MS3

Oooh that leads to one other question actually...
Inlet Mani: Does a MK2 inlet manifold fit a MK2.5?
Yes, but the MK2.5 EUDM manifold is better than the earlier one!

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks very much for the reply Richy, couple more questions then...

Airbag: Do the mk2's have passenger airbags as well or is it just the mk2.5?

Are there any other things that make getting a mk2.5 a better choice than getting a mk2 other than its newer and has the vvti?

Rust: Is one model better than the other for rust or are they both just as bad as each other? I appreciate every car may be different, but just wondering if anything changed between models that made a difference?

MS: Other than the vvti, is there anything else you need to get an MS2 working on a mk2 or 2.5? I know I'll need to change things as well as the loom adapter, but just wondering if maybe the vvti is harder to setup and tune than the standard mk2 1800?

Thanks again

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Just to add a bit to what Mr.Slow said....

It'll fit but you might need to fiddle with the HRW connector if it has one (either put a Mk1 connector on the car end or a mk2 plug on the hardtop end or replace them both with bullet connectors or something).

is it easy enough to disable the passenger side one safely as I know my little one can't go in the front if it has a passenger airbag.
On my 99 mk2 I disabled the passenger airbag by unplugging the yellow plug behind the glovebox (the airbag light comes on). I don't know if Mk2.5s have got a key switch to do it?

STEVO9000 is doing this at the moment I think. As far as I know you need headlights & bumper, you need to do some fiddling with the headlight wiring though.

My current mk2 seems to have a 2.5 centre console which looks a bit nicer and seems to have cup holders instead of an ashtray. They seem to be interchangeable though. Not sure about seats.

From experience - look in the coolant for copper particles (a sign of K-Seal being used to 'fix' a head gasket failure!!

·
Premium Member
19,296 Posts
Thanks very much for the reply Richy, couple more questions then...

Airbag: Do the mk2's have passenger airbags as well or is it just the mk2.5?
Pretty sure they do, it's the same dashboard.

Are there any other things that make getting a mk2.5 a better choice than getting a mk2 other than its newer and has the vvti?
The rear tail lights are different if that helps, also the CAT isn't located in the midpipe, whether they make it a better choice is another matter

Rust: Is one model better than the other for rust or are they both just as bad as each other? I appreciate every car may be different, but just wondering if anything changed between models that made a difference?
Pass on that one, I suspect not.

MS: Other than the vvti, is there anything else you need to get an MS2 working on a mk2 or 2.5? I know I'll need to change things as well as the loom adapter, but just wondering if maybe the vvti is harder to setup and tune than the standard mk2 1800?

Thanks again
Exactly the same to tune, it's essentially the same engine. With the MS you'll have to build an alternator control circuit. The MK2's alternator is regulated by the ECU rather than internally.

Or you could retrofit a MK1 alternator.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think if I could go back I wouldv gone for a mk1. So much more available for them in the market than the mk2 especially the face lift. Ive had a nightmare sourcing parts I like!

I say stick to the mk1 buddy

·
JDM
1,185 Posts
The VVT engines supposed to be bullet proof wheras some mk2 engines can go pop I have read.

Look at my build thread for the rust on my 2.5. You will find it in the sills/arches and can find it in the chassis rails. Mucho Dinero when both happen at once. What I haven't seen however on the mk2's is that annoying cosmetic rust on the A pillar, front wings or where the sill guards are, unlike the MK1.

The MK2.5 has ISOFIX for baby seats.. not sure how to disable the passenger airbag though? 4 star NCAP rating also I seem to remember.

Although its more or less the same chassis as the MK1 I keep reading the MK2 is the superior drive - more refined when you are doing a motorway jaunt but then stiffer and better handling when you want to cane it.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
I've fitted a Mk2.5 interior into my Mk2, so if you wanted to go down that route it can be done
The Mk2.5 interior obviously updates it and without any trouble at all apart from fiddling with the door cards it's a straight swap. The Mk2.5 seats do sit you a little higher than the Mk2 ones but that's it. The dash is more or less the same parts so I just changed over the centre console and radio surrounds, cubby etc.
All the rest has been covered really it's basically the same car just tweaked here and there all covered above what will what won't fit etc.

And as said watch out for rust on either model, even later cars are showing signs of rusty arches, sills, or even front chassis rails.

Mick

·
Registered
3,876 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks very much for the replies everyone, some great info there. Think I'll start searching for some local to me then and see what I think once I'm actually in one.

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.