Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Girls, I recently bought a used centre console of a guy breaking his car with the intention of chopping it up and making a shorty console with an IPhone dock integrated into it.

It is not going to be a bodge job either, I want to make it look like it was fitted from factory. I have an iPhone case and USD connection wire which I plan to bond, stick and smooth together then run the wire through the console to the back of my radio so I can play music straight off my iPhone as well as connect it to the double din screen and control it from there.

Does anyone have any pictures of their own shorty conversion or IPhone dock installation?

This thread will hopefully be picture heavy for anyone else wishing to attempt the same.

· Registered
1,746 Posts
I did this (now sold) www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=111105&hl=

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im unsure whether or not to make it shorty and just blend a dock in the gap available, how much of an issue is it securing the central screw when fitting?

All my parts arrived today so I should be making a start some time this week.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an iphone case and wire that I am going to plastic weld together then enclose in a hard foam padding which I will use to shape the console. I've used the foam a lot to make detailed models. You can get a flawless finish with enough prep.

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Right, I finally pulled my finger out and got around to making this. I ended up NOT doing as shorty console as I need the storage so I just put an Iphone dock into the console But my aim is to making it look like it was always there.

I started by cutting up some foam blocks to the right angle for the Iphone case to sit on, Then fixed it in with some superglue and body filler. I also glued an Iphone cable in to the base. To line it all up I put my iphone in whilst the filler was drying. I masking taped up my phone so I didn't get any on it.

2013-04-21163727_zpsdfeb7064.jpg

As you can see, still very rough. I am definitely not the best with filler! however it is 100% functional.

2013-04-21163738_zps08bd13d1.jpg

After a bit of sanding and more filler to fix some low spots and holes it is starting to take shape. Even have a little money pot at the bottom. The phone sits at the perfect angle for it to not disturb me whilst driving but when I want to change song I can see it fine.

2013-04-21225036_zps661ad37a.jpg

It still looks very messy but I will fix that. Once the phone slides in it sits flush with the case and the edge I built with the filler.

2013-04-21225129_zps77c15cb1.jpg

· Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nice to hear mate, I like stuff like this, want to do one for mine but will most likely flock it rather then painting :)
I was actually thinking about flocking it if the paint turned out crap

looks great mate. would love to see something innovative for an iPhone in the mk.2.5!
get a spare console off ebay and start hacking

I did this at one stage

PICT0988.jpg
aye, very similar to mine. the only downside with mine is it will only fir an iphone 4/4s, on the plus side I still have a little bit of storage for coins ect..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.