Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a custom, digital gauge cluster in my MK1 Eunos Roadster, but a few of the LED's have died so I'm now going to a MK2 cluster. I'm just wondering if the electronic speed sensor will bolt straight in to my gearbox? And what colour sensor I need (green or red)? I tried using the one which was already installed for the digital cluster, but it doesn't seem to be working with my MK2 cluster no matter how I wire it up. So I'm now going to try a MK2 sensor (which has less wires) if possible.
Composite material Gas Asphalt Concrete Auto part

Vehicle Steering part Hood Speedometer Car

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so, what sender was fitted / working with the led cluster & how many wires?

the mk2 sender has 2 wires (as your photo)

Rich.
I'm not 100% sure on the brand. I just know that I had to unscrew the speed cable, and put the electronic one in it's place...But the car hasn't been driven much in the past 2 years, and I'm currently not insured on it (insurance starts next month), so I have no idea if the current sensor works at all 🤷‍♂️ It has 3 wires which I believe is positive, negative, and a signal wire. But I wired this up 2/3 years ago, and it was obviously wired up a lot differently to the digital one.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,632 Posts
The mechanical Mk1 speedo drives and electronic Mk2 ones are all interchangeable between the 5 and 6-speed gearboxes. Which gear you need depends on matching the final drive ratio of your diff. If you take out the existing Mk.1 drive and count the gear teeth, that's what you need to match. I'm hazy on the colours but there are threads on here with that info.
<edit> Sorry I see you have an electronic type already. Well, same applies; you need to match the count of gearteeth.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The mechanical Mk1 speedo drives and electronic Mk2 ones are all interchangeable between the 5 and 6-speed gearboxes. Which gear you need depends on matching the final drive ratio of your diff. If you take out the existing Mk.1 drive and count the gear teeth, that's what you need to match. I'm hazy on the colours but there are threads on here with that info.
Ah okay, thank you :) I haven't actually seen any green ones for sale (they all seem to be red), but I just want to confirm which one I need before I buy one. So I'll count the teeth when I have time to remove it from the gearbox.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've a 19T / blue gear (on a mk2.5 sender from a 6 speed box) here....

Rich.
Blue 🤔 Didn't even know they were a thing...All the ones on ebay, etc are red. I only knew about the green ones as they were mentioned on another forum. All I know is that I have a 5 speed gearbox, but I'll count the teeth on my current gear in a few days time when I've got a day off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I didn't realise my gearbox oil would pour out everywhere 🤦‍♂️ But the colour of my current "sensor" (the part which the cable screws on to) is red, and I counted 23 teeth...From what I've read, that colour should be 22 teeth, so I obviously miscounted. But I'm guessing this means I need a red sensor from a MK2? None of the ones on ebay say how many teeth they have, and none of the sellers seem to be responding. They only say/show the colour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry I see you have an electronic type already. Well, same applies; you need to match the count of gearteeth
The part which actually attaches to the gearbox is still the original MK1 part...But I received an aftermarket electronic sensor which replaces the cable. Just unscrew the cable, screw this sensor in, and run 3 wires. No need to remove the part out of the gearbox itself. But this sensor doesn't seem to be working with the MK2 cluster for some reason, hence why I want to change to a MK2 sensor as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts