Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all , took the passenger side doorcard off today to investigate why the electric window doesn't work. Peeled back the clear plastic and got my hand in for a feel and found a snapped cable! Stopped there as I knew I didn't have the parts to fix. What do I need, just cables, full regulator, motor? Off to search YouTube for some ideas. If anyone has spares for sale or links to instructions that would be appreciated. Car is a 1994 import.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
120 Posts
Hi GordyB
When the cable snaps, the main cause is that the greased regulator rails that the window sit in harden up over time, this puts stress on the motor and the cable in the motor snaps.
You will need to remove the window, the regulator and the motor. You will need to replace, at least the motor and you will need to regrease the regulator mechanism by disassembling it entirely and cleaning.

Depending on how brave and savvy you are, you can buy a new motor and rebuild what you have or you can either buy a complete regulator and motor assembly (autolink sell an aftermarket one brand new thats much cheaper than genuine, mine is slightly too short on one of the cables but I seem to be alone in this issue and there are loads of good reviews from others)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, watched some videos on it and have ordered the bits, not brave enough to rewind cables etc so bought regulator and motor

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
575 Posts
Getting the unit out of the door is far harder than swapping the cables. The aftermarket units work faster though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts