Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My OEm cabin brace has just arrived today but I can't figure out where it goes.

I'm fitting it to a 1.6 which as far as I'm aware never had an interior brace. Do I have to drill and holes or are the mounting points already there?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the mounting point is underneather?

Do I have to cut my trim piece then or are some ready cut?

Sorry for stupid questions but whilst I'll have a go at most things on my car, cutting holes in the interior when I'm not sure I have to is something I'm wary of.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, after very ungracefully hacking at my interior I can across this:

I presume this is what it bolts to but the hole is no where near big enough for the bolt I have, plus isn't threaded.

I'm baffled, do I make the hole bigger and try to magic a nut underneath?

Please help me.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
This baffled me for about half an hour when I was doing what you are! Basically you need a rats tail file on that slot in order to use M12 (i think it is) bolts, or you can use M10 (again, I think it was) which should fit now.

Then you have to remove the seatbelt reel thing which is behind your seat and you then have access to the tail of the bolt so you can fit a washer and nut.
Enjoy

·
Registered
320 Posts
My style bar conected to that hole.
I had to open a litle for the screw get in. Then with some pacience put a nut under it.
You have to remove the seat belt for more clearence to put the nut under it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My style bar conected to that hole.
I had to open a litle for the screw get in. Then with some pacience put a nut under it.
You have to remove the seat belt for more clearence to put the nut under it.
Hi

I have just retro fitted the same OE cabin brace and procedure is easy but fiddly.

Remove trim and then the seatbelt reels.The use M10 bolts, mine with 70 but longer will make threading the nut easier.Place brace in position insert m10 with a washer at top and then reach hand underneath via space left from removing seatbelt and then use washer and or spring washer or nyloc nut and then fiddle around to do it up real tight...I used a M10 coach bolt with a domed head in case when car was left some bright spark/scrot decided to remove the bolt and take off with my cabin brace.

The you will need to cut out a section of the trim at the top to fit around the newly fitted brace bar, again this is easy as plastic is thin.you will see how much you need to remove.Once you have cut the trim it all refits as before and you will not notice that trim has been cut,looks like factory fit.
Then you buy an OE wind deflector and scratch your head 'cause it won't fit as it should.Why mazda did not realise this I don't know?

Good luck Giles

1 - 15 of 15 Posts