Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This will be my 5th mx5 and I just keep coming for more!

I had a 1.6 turbo which I wish I kept and continued with it. So now I'm looking at getting another 5 but doing it properly and this time keeping it.

So the question is, is there massive gains with stock mk1 1.8 vs mk2 1.8 as standard. And also between the 1.8 1999 and the 1.8 vvt s?

I know the best thing is to test but I just wanted your opinions. Ive had a 1.8 rs 6speed but just seeing differences of the 1.8 engines. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I have had a mk1 1.8, mk2 1.8s and a mk2.5 1.8 (vvt), along with a mk2 1.8 RS which had a HKS turbo.

Having recently bought the mk2.5, I must say that it is noticably quicker and more willing to rev than the other models I owned. The turbo one was unique but out of the n/a's, the mk2.5 is noticably more lively.

Best bet is to try a few and see what you think, your experience may end up being vastly different, depending on the examples you drive.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
I assume you mean between a stock mk1 and mk2 1.8.

I had the turbo car inbetween my n/a cars, so can't say for sure, but i do recall having just as much fun in the mk1 as I did in the n/a mk2. It is worthing that the mk2 is noticably stiffer, which is more prevalent on track. My mk1 had the usual h-braces so I assume it's just a stiffer chassis, thicker arbs etc.

You're likely to notice little difference between an n/a 1.8 mk1 and mk2, providing you get a good one of either.

·
Registered
4,933 Posts
turbos are different entirely, i prefer n/a these days as i drive it so little i just like to have a cheeky n/a blast or whatever. I was always wary with the turbo, couldnt take it out if it was damp etc as it would throw you through a wall. I personally prefer the n/a on track also, but it depends what tracks you frequent.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah true but on a dry day!. I'm going to look at testing a mk2 vvt and mk2.5. And go from there. Will be interesting to feel the difference. Obviously got to take in consideration age condition.

·
JDM
1,185 Posts
Yeah true but on a dry day!. I'm going to look at testing a mk2 vvt and mk2.5. And go from there. Will be interesting to feel the difference. Obviously got to take in consideration age condition.
All mk2.5 (built after 2001 I think) 1.8's have VVT mate. mk2 1.8's dont however.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah haha I failed there as I would be testing the same car! is it that mk2 all over a certain age become mk2.5? And cars advertised as mk2 vvt are actually mk2.5. As When i search on pistonheads, auto trader not many are advertised as mk2.5. Is their any easy way to distinguish a mk2.5 and mk2 apart from headlights?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.