Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have recently flushed my coolant having changed it from blue/green to pink. This is my first time doing it and I'd thought I'd done it properly.

A few days later I wanted to ensure it was fully bled so I undid the radiator cap. But when it got up to temp I then saw green coolant still in the rad while the overflow showed pink. How bad is this? Will I need to do s further flush?

Thanks

Tristan

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
301 Posts
It's bad if the two different coolants are actually different, the colour is just a dye

Different manufacturers use different colours for different types, without knowing the type that was in there and the type of the new coolant, one could not answer the question scientifically.

That said if it hasn't already gone wrong, likelihood is that you dodged a massive bullet.

·
Happily expanding the To Do list since 1997
10,632 Posts
Not sure on the "if it hasn't already gone wrong" bit. I gathered that some types of coolant create a protective boundary layer on metal parts while other types strip it off.

Overlooking the expansion tank is easily done but I'm not sure how it's even possible to drain and replace the engine coolant while leaving the radiator full of the old type. Anyway, if it were me I would start again and flush it clear with plain tap water before draining that and refilling with your choice of coolant.

·
Registered
VVT swapped NA & TD04 turbo NB
301 Posts
Not sure on the "if it hasn't already gone wrong" bit. I gathered that some types of coolant create a protective boundary layer on metal parts while other types strip it off.

Overlooking the expansion tank is easily done but I'm not sure how it's even possible to drain and replace the engine coolant while leaving the radiator full of the old type. Anyway, if it were me I would start again and flush it clear with plain tap water before draining that and refilling with your choice of coolant.
good point, I was only thinking about the "jelly" reaction, best to do a full hose pipe flush I guess

it's easy to end up with coolant left over if you don't get everything from the engine I suppose or if you drain the car at the wrong angle, maybe not a whole rads worth tho

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,690 Posts
btw if there's no light passing through the red coolant it can look green from above.

don't let tapwater anywhere near the inside of your engine though, only use it for cleaning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts