Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, called Amber Performance and they're willing to give 25% on Mishimoto products for a group buy.
Only condition is for 10 or more Mishimoto items.

www.amber-performance.co.uk
www.mishimoto.com
www.j-w-racing.co.uk

The Radiators come to ?215 + ?10 delivery but I was also thinking of collecting en mass one Saturday.

Radiators:
MMRAD-MIA-90 90-97 Mazda Miata, Manual ?244.00
MMRAD-MIA-99 99-05 Mazda Miata, Manual ?244.00

Fan Shroud Kits:
MMFS-MIA-90 90-97 Mazda Miata Fan Shroud Kit ?202.00
MMFS-MIA-99 99-05 Mazda Miata Fan Shroud Kit ?202.00

Hose Kits:
MMHOSE-MIA-90BK 90-93 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Black *NEW ?103.00
MMHOSE-MIA-90BL 90-93 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Blue *NEW ?103.00
MMHOSE-MIA-90RD 90-93 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Red *NEW ?103.00
MMHOSE-MIA-94BK 94-97 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Black *NEW ?103.00
MMHOSE-MIA-94BL 94-97 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Blue *NEW ?103.00
MMHOSE-MIA-94RD 94-97 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Red *NEW ?103.00
MMHOSE-MIA-99BK 99-05 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Black ?111.00
MMHOSE-MIA-99BL 99-05 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Blue ?111.00
MMHOSE-MIA-99RD 99-05 Mazda Miata Silicone Hose Kit, Red ?111.00
MMHOSE-MIA-90HHBK 90-91 Mazda Miata Silicone Heater Hose Set, Black ?100.00
MMHOSE-MIA-92HHBK 92-93 Mazda Miata Silicone Heater Hose Set, Black ?100.00
MMHOSE-MIA-94HHBK 94-97 Mazda Miata Silicone Heater Hose Set, Black ?100.00
Deduct 25% from the above prices, then add 17.5% VAT

Other generic stuff is available, Pm me the product codes and I'll let you know.

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Sounds like a good deal well done mate
, my brother has just got stung for import duty, box opening and additional uk delivery (don't know why as he had paid postage to his house already) on a cruise control kit he bought for his car from the states and this has all that possibility removed. Still not sure if I can fit a 52mm but will add myself if I find out in time.

Cheers
John

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Does that company do any smaller ones (maybe 37mm?) even in another make, as that may help me and I know on the other thread a few would prefer one not quite so big?

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all, doesn't look like they do any other MX5 specific that are thinner than Mishimoto's 52mm.
It does look like they deal with this company though,

Custom Made Pro-Alloy

That could be a bit more expensive though

Vindi, point well made. Could the extra thickness be due to a larger air gap internally

·
Registered
12,243 Posts
The extra thickness is extra cooling fins / pipes. which is all good when you are moving quick, but not if its a daily driver and you get stuck in a queue of traffic!!
I would think this would be fine if you are building a track or weekend car, but mine is my daily driver, so something in between like the Koyo 37mm radiator might be a better choice for me?

Russell.

·
spending too much money
1,184 Posts
In terms of cooling efficiency of a 52mm in traffic will make very little if any difference. Dont get me wrong your theory is correct but on a 5, the cooling difference is going to 1-5% difference max and even that is a very high estimate

I would be more concerned with space/clearance issues, well worth a quick measure

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
In terms of cooling efficiency of a 52mm in traffic will make very little if any difference. Dont get me wrong your theory is correct but on a 5, the cooling difference is going to 1-5% difference max and even that is a very high estimate

I would be more concerned with space/clearance issues, well worth a quick measure
While I am not even beginning to dispute what you have said, could you elaborate your point please? Why would it make such little difference. I ask due to wanting to know rather then saying you are wrong

·
spending too much money
1,184 Posts
No worries saahil, i'll try my best!

because the 52mm has a bigger surface area compared to the 37mm (internal surface area) the water has more places to travel to be cooled. sounds great, BUT... as vindi said if your stuck in traffic aka no forced airflow through the radiator, the water will have a longer time period within the radiator. you could call it water in limbo as it is in the radiator to be cooled but is relying on the standard fan to pull (or push) air through the radiator, but because you've increased the depth of the radiator, the fan is designed to cool a 37mm radiator so in efficency terms at a standstil you will lose efficency with a 52mm compared to the 37mm as the air pulled (or pushed) through the radiator has less area to cool, therefore more water is being cooled as the fan unit on the 5 will have a fixed displacement, increase the size and utilise the oem fan, your still using the same displacement but cooling a larger area, sounds good but works adversely in thermodynamics.

So what are the benefits of the 52mm?

1) Cooling during motion, forward preferably
, is increased dramtically as lots more water can be put into the system / more water in a specific time frame (1 second for example) is being cooled, aka better efficency.
2) If your running FI or throttle bodies/carbs, the extra temperatures caused by excessive high rpm use/working the engine harder can be delt with accordingly, not stressing the OEM unit (I havent heard of an OEM radiator struggling in an FI car but the theory is right)
3) pleasing apperance - i've seen a koyo in the flesh and they look meaty/shiney - just gorgeous basically, espcially gorgeous with a purpose!

But as i said above, the downsides to the 52mm will be very minor, you wont really notice the difference.

The reason for the little difference:

England has nice low ambient temperatures except freak summer days which as we all know dont exsist! this aids cooling of the water indirectly, its more the speed of the air (or windchill) through the rad that cools the water (ever noticed when you have the top down on a mild day that your forehead gets cold rather quickly? thats what i'm talking about) more surface area to cool at a standstill is harder on the surrouding air than a smaller surface area.

The OEM fan setup is rather overspec'ed for the OEM radiator, which isnt a bad thing at all but it can still cope with fully warmed engines with the 52mm at a standstill. If for example your ragging the car in 1st gear only for 30 minutes (FI car, or highly tuned) then stop for 5 minutes, it will get slightly hotter than normal but when do people do that? Another thought was if you've got the car crusing at 110mph for ages then suddenly stop, its gonna get hot but thats going to occur in OEM spec or the 52mm rad regardless of tune, its just common sense

Just realised how much i'v blabbed, sorry

Basically thermal transfer, for the 52mm is greatly increased during forward motion and reduced during standstill, no airflow, times. but unless your running a forged motor with circa 300bhp, you aint going to struggle with the temperature issue as the fan setup on the 5 is rather well designed and can easily cope with the extra depth of the 52mm rad using its fixed displacement.

Hope that lecture helps you
If someone thinks otherwise please let me know, thats what i think is right but if its not then please say!

·
Registered
4,792 Posts
Yea a few have, see my other Mishimoto thread in this section where a few have commented.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Malcolm- added to list.

na8cgee, please feel free to blab on, make interesting reading. Lets say the Mishi' is 30% better on the move and maybe 5% ??? worse at standstill. The lesson here is, don't get stuck in traffic or turn the engine off if you're worried but it probably won't make too much difference.

Looks like the main problem would be clearance, I've got the ARC chamber that will probably need a little bit of cutting to shorten the pipes, even some welding to angle it down a touch.

I've emailed a couple of traders that deal with Koyo and also Pro Alloy Radiators, no reply so stuff 'em.

Importing the V1139 or V2277 37mm koyo rads will come to around ?400
according to the best prices I could find.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts