Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all kudos to Barry Spiers for his hard work and detailed description of the Mini SC install. I have been planning to do the very same stunt for more than 18 months but lack of time has been the (bad) excuse for not just doing it. Very impressive and inspiring work.

I have been searching for a source for Mini parts( bypass valve + pulleys), but have only been able to track down some US based companies. Regular Mini dealers here in Denmarks is far too expensive on spareparts.

Any suggestions for UK based dealers?

And one technical question: is the orientation of the bypass valve not important? Barry's set-up is reversed 180 degree compared to the orientation on the Mini. Just wondering if there is a specific side facing boost.

Thanks

Hans / Copenhagen

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Hi Hans, glad you are finally going to do the conversion, its well worth it, my 1.6 was dyno'd at 200bhp - very nice. You can get the bypass valve from a UK BMW dealer, The part number is - 11617568423. I got my 11% reduction pulley for the charger from Kavs Motorsports here http://www.kavsmotorsport.com/content/view/15/29/lang,en/

The BPV does need to go the right way round otherwise it will not work properly

Good luck with the build

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Hans, glad you are finally going to do the conversion, its well worth it, my 1.6 was dyno'd at
The BPV does need to go the right way round otherwise it will not work properly

Good luck with the build
Hi Barry,

Thank you for your prompt reply. Regarding the BPV orientation, please have look on this diagram:

Since you are pulling 200 BHP with BPV the other way around I think the orientation doesn't matter. Or if it's leaking under boost you may be able to gain a few more ponies...?

Hans

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I think you will find that is the way Barry has fitted the BPV. Comes off the inlet with the flange first, then on to the outlet with a silicone joiner. Well thats how i fitted mine & i followed Barrys thread!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think you will find that is the way Barry has fitted the BPV. Comes off the inlet with the flange first, then on to the outlet with a silicone joiner. Well thats how i fitted mine & i followed Barrys thread!
Well, in the diagram the flange is pointing upwards which is towards the outlet side of the SC, hence my question. I believe the conclusion must be that the BPV works either way. As any pressure on the blade will work equally on either side of the pivot, a pressure difference will not be able to move the blade.

Hans

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Hans, you may be right as the BPV is operated only from vaccume tubing that comes from the engine inlet manifold. Only one way to find out for sure - try it
Let us know how you get on.............
Barry

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well, in the diagram the flange is pointing upwards which is towards the outlet side of the SC, hence my question. I believe the conclusion must be that the BPV works either way. As any pressure on the blade will work equally on either side of the pivot, a pressure difference will not be able to move the blade.

Hans
[/quote]
Hans,
The top part in the diagram is the inlet, not the outlet!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I stand corrected! Doesnt seem to matter though. Perhaps thats why you need to run a separate vac line to the bypass valve.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.