Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

My mx5 turbo is finally back on the road after killing a clutch and breaking diff casing.

New G19 clutch and lightweight flywheel
New clutch slave

When pulling away, slow or reverse, the car judders like mad!!! It feels like the entire ppf/engine/diff is going to break itself away from the car.

I haven't bed it in yet, literally not even gone half a mile since back on the ground..

It did this with the previous clutch setup.

WTF is causing this?

Do I just need to give more throttle? That seems to calm it a bit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Did you change any mounts/bushes at the same time? I remember you broke the diff so if you now have stiffer bushes that will transfer a lot of more nvh. When I first fitted poly engine and diff mounts I took the car down the drive and immediately back into the garage thinking something was broken with all the vibration!

Give the clutch a little time to bed in (and plenty revs pulling away in the mean time!) and see if it improves.

·
Hiding from the Ayatollah or making Full Metal Jac
1,569 Posts
ouch :( check the PPF is correctly installed too.

·
@Markbcars
783 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's got the Mazdaspeed engine mounts and powerflex diff bushes. It's just a vibration/juddering whilst engaging the clutch, once fully engaged (foot off clutch pedal) it's totally fine or when giving it revs like a granny pulling out of a parking space..

I don't believe it's an issue with flywheel or clutch as it is IDENTICAL to the final months of my last flywheel/clutch setup. Which was an OEM flywheel and a stage 3 Competition Clutch. I just put it down to the original flywheel being buggered as I didn't resurface it or just what an aggressive clutch is like.

You can hear clanging and banging around when it happens, I think it's the exhaust due to the whole transmissions/engine jumping. It's embarrassing and bloody annoying.

PPF is tight as fook and I did the whole alignment thing which I'm not really a believer in but that's another subject.

Other than a buggered gearbox, I can't think what else it could be although I should put some miles on the clutch before diving too far into it all.

Thinking out loud, something which just occurred to me, I should check the engine mounts, just incase one has undone itself or split, leading to the movement.

Cheers Guys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts