Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Some of you may know me and Mexy !! my Chaste white roadster.

Well I picked this up from FlikstRR a month or so ago, with a view to run it as a Daily driver. It?s a Eunos Roadster G-ltd in one of my favourite colours Satellite Blue Mica. Very original and unmodified.

My Audi A4 avant is no longer practical for transporting 2 large dogs, the mrs and the baby so we sold her Golf and got a Ford S-max to perform this task freeing me up to have a different car to smoke about in, leaving my white 5 as a Garage Queen !!

When I picked it up it was mechanically sound, cosmetically it was a different story. Flat paint work, faded side repeaters cloudy nearside rear light, torn soft top, incorrectly fitted drivers window regulator, wheels in a shocking state etc...
But it drives brilliantly, a very healthy torsen lsd !!! Stock suspension and a standard ride height. It?s like riding on a cloud such is the suppleness of the spring/damper setup, far removed from my lowered, stiffened, braced up, pillowball top mounted 5.

So upon getting it home I have stripped out all the interior and wet vac?d the carpets, cleaned all the plastics and retreated them, conditioned the leather wheel, washed the mats and refitted everything in place properly.
I then turned my attention to the driver?s window. Up was down and down was up on the switch, the window didn?t go all the way up to the top. It turned out to be new cables fitted the wrong way round with one of the cables fouling the mechanism preventing it from going all the way up. Stripped, cleaned and fitted correctly with regreased guides and the window is now as smooth as ever and working correctly.

The side repeaters were shaved of their letters and polished up.
The wiring in the nearside headlamp was replaced as the h4 bulb was only receiving 10v so was rather dim.
Thanks to Gareth (Hooligan) I got a replacement set of rear lights to replace the cloudy one.
I then took a trip down to Oxfordshire to see Nigel (Ninja Motors) who happened to be braking 2 G-ltd?s and got a pair of front wings, a pair of headlight lids and a Navy Mohair roof for an excellent price, he even threw in a pair of clear side repeaters and a set of floor mats.... Brill guy very nice to deal with and would highly recommend for any parts you may need.

I then painted the cam cover in Vht aluminium paint and and at the same time took the opportunity to replace the cam angle sensor o-ring and cam cover gasket as well as new long reach spark plugs.

I also painted the feet of an oem tower brace silver and fitted it to the car and started to tackle the wheels which were looking very sorry for themselves.

I took them to work and steam cleaned them and then started the laborious task of flatting them down with 1200 grid wet and dry to remove all the ingrained brake dust and muck which had had years to bake on. Polished up and waxed, tires treated and they look presentable.

Before

After

I also got hold of an oem front lip spoiler (thanks again Ninja motors) so whilst the front bumper is off i took the opportunity to fit that, and painted the wiper arms satin black.

I also bought a set of leather gaiters for the handbrake and gear lever to nicen up the insides.

Next on the list is to fit the soft top, and the wings and headlight lids and get the welded patch on the nearside sill taken off and new metal put in properly and then painted up.

Cheers Ric !!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Great work so far ric.
Nice little project you've got !

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great work so far ric.
Cheers Greg

Now aren't we all waiting for your new thread.........

Ric !!

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
wow awesome work!

Did you steam clean them with tyres on..then hand flatted them down with 1200grit? hmmmm..think i should have given this a go on my wheels in the summer! mine are a bit fubared with brake dust etc.

anyway..looking forward to the progress on this!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wow awesome work!

Did you steam clean them with tyres on..then hand flatted them down with 1200grit? hmmmm..think i should have given this a go on my wheels in the summer! mine are a bit fubared with brake dust etc.

anyway..looking forward to the progress on this!
Thanks

Yep left the tires on, just dropped the pressures 10 psi and used some traffic film remover through the works industrial jet wash.

Then flatted by hand

I did one wheel a day starting with the worst two so the job got easier as my hands got sorer !!

Ric !!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Great work so far ric.
Cheers Greg

Now aren't we all waiting for your new thread.........

Ric !!
[/quote]

Ahem.......yeah.......

Hopefully later today. When I pull my finger out basically !
Watch this space...

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Looking good ric, you've got too much time on your hands, i could do with a job like yours then could still run the business on my my days off

Good work mate

Dave

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looking good ric, you've got too much time on your hands, i could do with a job like yours then could still run the business on my my days off

Good work mate

Dave
Ha ha cheers Dave. The appliance bays at work do come in very handy.

It's not always that easy at work........ Sometimes I have to watch tv or have a little lie down

Ric

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nice buy.

do like the satellite blue mica colour.

should make a decent little daily
Cheers mate, just got to remind myself its not a show car and doesn't need upgrades

Ric !!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
UPDATE.....

Well i've got a bit more done to the old girl

Finally fitted the navy mohair hood i got from Nigel (ninjamotors)

after jet washing several times, scrubbing with detergent and retreating with a waterproofer it looks really good

Then i cracked out the rotary buffer and gave the bonnet a good doing over

refitted the freshly painted wiper arms

Fitted new leather hand brake and gear shifter gaitors

Then had a play with wheels..............

I know i said i wasn't moding this one but what do you do when you've got bits in the garage just sitting there ???

Enkei 14x6 et38

Watanabe 14x7 et19

Also fitted the replacement front wings and headlight lids, so just got the front nosecone to clean up and give a flick over and all is good.

Cheers Ric

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Looks good on the Wats
Ha ha i know, it wants lowering too and etc........

I'm not supposed to be having 2 project cars but.......I can't help it !!

I must be Nutz

Ric

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update....

Well the time came for me to say goodbye to my Audi

But that means Mertyl is now my daily driver.

Recently she's had gearbox and diff fluid changed ready for Mot's car control day !!

Here she is in all her glory.

I also got hold of a set of Mazdaspeed MS01-R's for not alot. The condition was average to poor paint wise having been painted matt black but they were shod in decent tires so i set about refurbishing them.

DimeBrg gave me a paint colour i was keen to try so i thought these wheels would be my test subject.

Here's what I started with

Nitromors'd and steam cleaned

Primed ready for paint

The finished article

Still got 2 more to do and then they need balancing but on the whole i'm pretty happy.

Cheers Ric !!

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
looking good ive loved bronze wheels every since i saw a slammed mk2 on rotra grids

1 - 20 of 42 Posts