Mazda MX-5 Miata banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I've got a V-Special with the metal teardrop type speaker grilles and a set of 6.5" components ready to fit and would ideally like to isolate them from the door with an MDF ring. From what I can see through the grille, space does look a little tight but I'd hope a 12mm ring would fit. I've not had a chance to take the door panel off and measure up but wondered if anyone else had found clearance to be an issue?

·
Registered
9,546 Posts
Isolate them?
They should be as bonded as possible. If you feel the door to weak, then put the ring on the inside if there are clearance problems. Or tie the inner and outer door skins together with rods that the speaker puts under compression and tension. That will stop it moving about.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply, my reasons for not wanting to fix speakers directly to the door skin isn't due to of the door itself not being strong enough but to increase the mass and ridigity of the speaker's mount, reducing the amount of resonance from the door skin. It would also improve the sound quality a notch too.

First install into an MX5, no doubt there will be more questions along the way..

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Hi mate, I recently did this on my mark1 and I think I used 17mm thick speaker rings. Once you take off the door card you will see two holes(one with the speaker in obviously) thesecond hole is bigger and will allow you to pass the speaker ring through. I then stuck mine to the back of the inner door skin with mastic then once this was dry i drilled four pilot holes through the skin and into the rings. After adding a shit load of dynamat to the inner and outer skins I used 1" self tapping screws to mount the speakers to the inner skin,screwing into the MDF. I also put some adhesive draught excluder rubber stripping around the speaker cage, this pushes the door card and grill out ever so slightly and stops the cones from touching it when cranked right up. This is with a 600w amp and drivers with serious excursion and as far as I can tell they never touch.

The resulting mounts are solid as a rock and the sound is a HUUUGE improvement.

Hope this helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.